Dec 7, 2010, 2:52 PM EST
Every once in a while, sports fans and writers are confronted with one of those odd situations in which it’s hard to take an athlete’s comments at face value (but possibly because of your own beliefs and prejudices).
Chris Kuc writes that Marty Turco is fine with the Chicago Blackhawks starting red-hot “backup” Corey Crawford against the Dallas Stars instead of him, but can we be sure he’s not just preaching the company line? The question is obvious: is Turco just trying to be a good teammate or could it be that he simply doesn’t care like we do? Maybe Turco isn’t driven by the idea of beating an organization he played with for so many years.
It’s tough to believe that it doesn’t affect him at all, but the team’s logic is simple. Crawford won six games in a row while Turco lost his last three. Sometimes you have to go with the hot hand rather than play into the convenient media-approved storylines.
In case you want to read Turco’s comments and dissect their credibility yourself, here they are.
“We’re going to go with the winning formula,” Turco said after practice Tuesday at the United Center. “Corey’s playing and deserves to. There’s a reason why I came here, that’s to win. I have zero problems with it. If it was an Eastern Conference team and it was our only shot at them this year, I might puff up my chest, but it’s no big deal really. As long as we beat them.”
“I’d like to play them but I’m pretty sure I’ll get a shot at them this year,” added Turco, who signed a one-year, free-agent contract with the Hawks during the offseason.
“I didn’t come to Chicago to be a part of the Blackhawks organization to beat the Dallas Stars. I came here to win and be part of a winning formula. People have to respect that and I certainly do.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)