Dec 7, 2010, 1:34 AM EDT
In yet another captivating teaser that hypes HBO’s upcoming 24/7 series leading up to the 2011 Winter Classic (airing on NBC on January 1, 2011 by the way …), Brooks Laich provides some entertaining banter.
After discussing the stuff you’ll be hearing about from almost every player (“It’s like we’re kids again” type commentary), Laich also discusses the budding rivalry between the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins.
But perhaps it’s the similarities between the two teams that might make this best outdoor NHL game yet. They both feature high-octane offenses, talented goalies, attacking defensemen and high spots in the standings, so the game has a chance to be wide open and competitive.
The only other rivalry game of note in the U.S. outdoor games so far was the Chicago-Detroit Winter Classic from 2009, so the 2011 game has that going for it too.
Anyway, the HBO 24/7 series premieres on December 15, so expect some more tastes of their expert coverage as the next few days come along. We hope you’re as excited as we are.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40