Dec 7, 2010, 1:34 AM EST
In yet another captivating teaser that hypes HBO’s upcoming 24/7 series leading up to the 2011 Winter Classic (airing on NBC on January 1, 2011 by the way …), Brooks Laich provides some entertaining banter.
After discussing the stuff you’ll be hearing about from almost every player (“It’s like we’re kids again” type commentary), Laich also discusses the budding rivalry between the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins.
But perhaps it’s the similarities between the two teams that might make this best outdoor NHL game yet. They both feature high-octane offenses, talented goalies, attacking defensemen and high spots in the standings, so the game has a chance to be wide open and competitive.
The only other rivalry game of note in the U.S. outdoor games so far was the Chicago-Detroit Winter Classic from 2009, so the 2011 game has that going for it too.
Anyway, the HBO 24/7 series premieres on December 15, so expect some more tastes of their expert coverage as the next few days come along. We hope you’re as excited as we are.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)