Dec 7, 2010, 1:34 AM EDT
In yet another captivating teaser that hypes HBO’s upcoming 24/7 series leading up to the 2011 Winter Classic (airing on NBC on January 1, 2011 by the way …), Brooks Laich provides some entertaining banter.
After discussing the stuff you’ll be hearing about from almost every player (“It’s like we’re kids again” type commentary), Laich also discusses the budding rivalry between the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins.
But perhaps it’s the similarities between the two teams that might make this best outdoor NHL game yet. They both feature high-octane offenses, talented goalies, attacking defensemen and high spots in the standings, so the game has a chance to be wide open and competitive.
The only other rivalry game of note in the U.S. outdoor games so far was the Chicago-Detroit Winter Classic from 2009, so the 2011 game has that going for it too.
Anyway, the HBO 24/7 series premieres on December 15, so expect some more tastes of their expert coverage as the next few days come along. We hope you’re as excited as we are.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63