Dec 7, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
It turns out that the St. Louis Blues lost more than just the game during the play that created Taylor Hall’s overtime game winning goal on Saturday. In the beginning of that exchange, center Andy McDonald hit a rut in the ice and fell into Shawn Horcoff, an accident that reportedly left him with a concussion.
The Blues released some information on the 33-year-old pivot’s injury and it doesn’t look very good for the struggling Central Division team. He will be out indefinitely because of the concussion, the fourth Blues player to deal with such a head injury already this season (David Perron, Cam Janssen and Carlo Colaiacovo also suffered concussions).
Janssen and Colaiacovo are playing again, but Perron is still dealing with post-concussion syndrome. McDonald will join Perron, T.J. Oshie and Roman Polak on the Blues’ injury list. This isn’t the first time McDonald suffered a concussion during his NHL career, as he dealt with issues when he was a member of the Anaheim Ducks in 2003.
McDonald was tied for the Blues’ team lead in points with 17 (eight goals and nine assists) and can be an asset in the faceoff circle, so this is a tough loss for the fledgling group.
You can only see it for a moment in the very beginning, but here is the video of McDonald’s fall and the subsequent Hall goal.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 5
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 80
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (80)