Dec 7, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
It turns out that the St. Louis Blues lost more than just the game during the play that created Taylor Hall’s overtime game winning goal on Saturday. In the beginning of that exchange, center Andy McDonald hit a rut in the ice and fell into Shawn Horcoff, an accident that reportedly left him with a concussion.
The Blues released some information on the 33-year-old pivot’s injury and it doesn’t look very good for the struggling Central Division team. He will be out indefinitely because of the concussion, the fourth Blues player to deal with such a head injury already this season (David Perron, Cam Janssen and Carlo Colaiacovo also suffered concussions).
Janssen and Colaiacovo are playing again, but Perron is still dealing with post-concussion syndrome. McDonald will join Perron, T.J. Oshie and Roman Polak on the Blues’ injury list. This isn’t the first time McDonald suffered a concussion during his NHL career, as he dealt with issues when he was a member of the Anaheim Ducks in 2003.
McDonald was tied for the Blues’ team lead in points with 17 (eight goals and nine assists) and can be an asset in the faceoff circle, so this is a tough loss for the fledgling group.
You can only see it for a moment in the very beginning, but here is the video of McDonald’s fall and the subsequent Hall goal.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 53
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 44
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (55)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)