Dec 7, 2010, 4:23 PM EST
It turns out that the St. Louis Blues lost more than just the game during the play that created Taylor Hall’s overtime game winning goal on Saturday. In the beginning of that exchange, center Andy McDonald hit a rut in the ice and fell into Shawn Horcoff, an accident that reportedly left him with a concussion.
The Blues released some information on the 33-year-old pivot’s injury and it doesn’t look very good for the struggling Central Division team. He will be out indefinitely because of the concussion, the fourth Blues player to deal with such a head injury already this season (David Perron, Cam Janssen and Carlo Colaiacovo also suffered concussions).
Janssen and Colaiacovo are playing again, but Perron is still dealing with post-concussion syndrome. McDonald will join Perron, T.J. Oshie and Roman Polak on the Blues’ injury list. This isn’t the first time McDonald suffered a concussion during his NHL career, as he dealt with issues when he was a member of the Anaheim Ducks in 2003.
McDonald was tied for the Blues’ team lead in points with 17 (eight goals and nine assists) and can be an asset in the faceoff circle, so this is a tough loss for the fledgling group.
You can only see it for a moment in the very beginning, but here is the video of McDonald’s fall and the subsequent Hall goal.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)