Dec 7, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
It turns out that the St. Louis Blues lost more than just the game during the play that created Taylor Hall’s overtime game winning goal on Saturday. In the beginning of that exchange, center Andy McDonald hit a rut in the ice and fell into Shawn Horcoff, an accident that reportedly left him with a concussion.
The Blues released some information on the 33-year-old pivot’s injury and it doesn’t look very good for the struggling Central Division team. He will be out indefinitely because of the concussion, the fourth Blues player to deal with such a head injury already this season (David Perron, Cam Janssen and Carlo Colaiacovo also suffered concussions).
Janssen and Colaiacovo are playing again, but Perron is still dealing with post-concussion syndrome. McDonald will join Perron, T.J. Oshie and Roman Polak on the Blues’ injury list. This isn’t the first time McDonald suffered a concussion during his NHL career, as he dealt with issues when he was a member of the Anaheim Ducks in 2003.
McDonald was tied for the Blues’ team lead in points with 17 (eight goals and nine assists) and can be an asset in the faceoff circle, so this is a tough loss for the fledgling group.
You can only see it for a moment in the very beginning, but here is the video of McDonald’s fall and the subsequent Hall goal.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)