Dec 7, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
It turns out that the St. Louis Blues lost more than just the game during the play that created Taylor Hall’s overtime game winning goal on Saturday. In the beginning of that exchange, center Andy McDonald hit a rut in the ice and fell into Shawn Horcoff, an accident that reportedly left him with a concussion.
The Blues released some information on the 33-year-old pivot’s injury and it doesn’t look very good for the struggling Central Division team. He will be out indefinitely because of the concussion, the fourth Blues player to deal with such a head injury already this season (David Perron, Cam Janssen and Carlo Colaiacovo also suffered concussions).
Janssen and Colaiacovo are playing again, but Perron is still dealing with post-concussion syndrome. McDonald will join Perron, T.J. Oshie and Roman Polak on the Blues’ injury list. This isn’t the first time McDonald suffered a concussion during his NHL career, as he dealt with issues when he was a member of the Anaheim Ducks in 2003.
McDonald was tied for the Blues’ team lead in points with 17 (eight goals and nine assists) and can be an asset in the faceoff circle, so this is a tough loss for the fledgling group.
You can only see it for a moment in the very beginning, but here is the video of McDonald’s fall and the subsequent Hall goal.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks