Dec 7, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
Let’s take a look at tonight’s five game slate of NHL action. As always, the start times are according to Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Ottawa @ Montreal
If the Canadiens want to take a look at their old pal Alex Kovalev, they won’t need to wait very long to do so. The Habs should prove that they are truly among the upper class in the East by bolstering their already impressive home mark (10-4-2) against the up-and-down Senators.
Colorado @ Florida
Both teams find themselves out of the playoff picture in their respective conferences, although the Avalanche are a stone’s throw away while the Panthers find themselves in a considerable hole. Then again, Florida played 15 of their first 25 games on the road, so maybe a little home cooking in Sunrise will do them a little good.
Buffalo @ Boston
To me, the Bruins seem like the Sabres plus depth. Both teams are better on the road than at home this season, sport the last two Vezina Trophy winners and employ cagey coaches in their ranks. The Bruins just seem more resilient and talented, so we’ll see if they can go above .500 in Boston with this one.
Anaheim @ Edmonton
In this context, the two teams are remarkably similar; the Ducks are 4-7-2 on the road while the Oilers are 4-6-1 at home this season. The most comforting thought for Edmonton is that they’re starting to put a run together, having won four games in a row. Anaheim is the definition of hot and cold, just look at their last four streaks from the most to the least recent: two losses, three wins, six losses and six wins.
Tampa Bay @ Calgary
Both teams still employ two of the big figures from their seven-game Stanley Cup finals series (Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff for the Flames; Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis for the Lightning), only it seems like Calgary is falling apart around them while Tampa Bay is finally moving on to bigger and better things. Tampa Bay is in solid playoff position in the East while the Flames are now at the very bottom of the West right now.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)