Dec 6, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
Just about any other week during the season you’d see Ryan Miller walk away with the NHL’s #1 star of the week award. In a week that features Sidney Crosby scoring five goals, including a hat trick in one game, that just won’t get it done. The NHL announced their three stars of the week and it would be the Penguins captain taking home top honors.
Crosby is in the midst of a 15-game point scoring streak and has been instrumental in leading the Pens on their current nine-game winning streak. This past week, Crosby had five goals and one assist including a hat trick against Atlanta and two goals against Columbus on Saturday. Crosby is first in the NHL in points and in goals. It’s good to be the Kid.
Miller, meanwhile, earned his first two shutouts of the season in back-to-back games against Ottawa and Columbus. He faced 51 shots this week and stopped them all leading the Sabres to to a 2-0-0 record. That kind of action out of Miller is exactly what the Sabres have been hoping for out of Miller. Getting it done against consistent pain in the rear Ottawa and a reeling Columbus team is a good way to do it.
Taylor Hall is no slouch either. Hall had a breakout week of sorts scoring four goals in four games including the game-winner in overtime against St. Louis. The Oilers are in the midst of a four-game win streak and Hall has been a big contributor to that. Over the team’s last eight games, scoring six goals (two of them game-winners). The Oilers have show resiliency lately and it’s thanks to the play of Hall they’ve been able to withstand pressure and win games.
One feather in Hall’s cap compared to the other two stars of the week: He didn’t have to light up Columbus in order to get recognized.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)