Dec 6, 2010, 2:16 PM EST
Just about any other week during the season you’d see Ryan Miller walk away with the NHL’s #1 star of the week award. In a week that features Sidney Crosby scoring five goals, including a hat trick in one game, that just won’t get it done. The NHL announced their three stars of the week and it would be the Penguins captain taking home top honors.
Crosby is in the midst of a 15-game point scoring streak and has been instrumental in leading the Pens on their current nine-game winning streak. This past week, Crosby had five goals and one assist including a hat trick against Atlanta and two goals against Columbus on Saturday. Crosby is first in the NHL in points and in goals. It’s good to be the Kid.
Miller, meanwhile, earned his first two shutouts of the season in back-to-back games against Ottawa and Columbus. He faced 51 shots this week and stopped them all leading the Sabres to to a 2-0-0 record. That kind of action out of Miller is exactly what the Sabres have been hoping for out of Miller. Getting it done against consistent pain in the rear Ottawa and a reeling Columbus team is a good way to do it.
Taylor Hall is no slouch either. Hall had a breakout week of sorts scoring four goals in four games including the game-winner in overtime against St. Louis. The Oilers are in the midst of a four-game win streak and Hall has been a big contributor to that. Over the team’s last eight games, scoring six goals (two of them game-winners). The Oilers have show resiliency lately and it’s thanks to the play of Hall they’ve been able to withstand pressure and win games.
One feather in Hall’s cap compared to the other two stars of the week: He didn’t have to light up Columbus in order to get recognized.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)