Dec 6, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
Just about any other week during the season you’d see Ryan Miller walk away with the NHL’s #1 star of the week award. In a week that features Sidney Crosby scoring five goals, including a hat trick in one game, that just won’t get it done. The NHL announced their three stars of the week and it would be the Penguins captain taking home top honors.
Crosby is in the midst of a 15-game point scoring streak and has been instrumental in leading the Pens on their current nine-game winning streak. This past week, Crosby had five goals and one assist including a hat trick against Atlanta and two goals against Columbus on Saturday. Crosby is first in the NHL in points and in goals. It’s good to be the Kid.
Miller, meanwhile, earned his first two shutouts of the season in back-to-back games against Ottawa and Columbus. He faced 51 shots this week and stopped them all leading the Sabres to to a 2-0-0 record. That kind of action out of Miller is exactly what the Sabres have been hoping for out of Miller. Getting it done against consistent pain in the rear Ottawa and a reeling Columbus team is a good way to do it.
Taylor Hall is no slouch either. Hall had a breakout week of sorts scoring four goals in four games including the game-winner in overtime against St. Louis. The Oilers are in the midst of a four-game win streak and Hall has been a big contributor to that. Over the team’s last eight games, scoring six goals (two of them game-winners). The Oilers have show resiliency lately and it’s thanks to the play of Hall they’ve been able to withstand pressure and win games.
One feather in Hall’s cap compared to the other two stars of the week: He didn’t have to light up Columbus in order to get recognized.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 19
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54