Dec 6, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
Here are a few tidbits from around the NHL, from trade scuttlebutt to injury updates.
- The Montreal Canadiens have plenty to be happy about right now thanks to the fantastic play of Carey Price, but that doesn’t mean that the team lacks its share of flaws. They could use another top six forward, for one thing, a subject that inspired Pierre McGuire to wonder if the team should try to reacquire mercurial forward Alex Kovalev.
Kovalev is one of the NHL’s most temperamental talents. He seems just as likely to float through a game unnoticed as he is to take over matters with a brilliant power-play goal. He found a solid place in Montreal, though, so you never know.
Habs Inside/Out also brings up the name of Dustin Penner, but there might be a reason why that won’t work out.
- That’s because the Edmonton Oilers will be without one of their other most important top six forwards themselves for as long as a month. We discussed Ales Hemsky’s problematic groin injury a few days ago and Joanne Ireland writes that a speedy recovery is not likely for the talented passer.
(Immature aside: I couldn’t help but giggle when I read Oilers coach Tom Renney’s quote on the subject: ““Groins are temperamental in terms of healing.” I’ll keep any further commentary to myself.)
- In the good news/bad news category of injuries, Alexei Ponikarovsky participated in his first full practice today and is reportedly on track to return to the Los Angeles Kings’ lineup on Thursday. The good news is that the Kings will bolster their thin forward corps. The bad news is that they’re doing so by bringing back Ponikarovsky, who has been ineffectual when he’s been able to play (two goals and two assists for four points in 13 games played).
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)