Dec 6, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
Here are a few tidbits from around the NHL, from trade scuttlebutt to injury updates.
- The Montreal Canadiens have plenty to be happy about right now thanks to the fantastic play of Carey Price, but that doesn’t mean that the team lacks its share of flaws. They could use another top six forward, for one thing, a subject that inspired Pierre McGuire to wonder if the team should try to reacquire mercurial forward Alex Kovalev.
Kovalev is one of the NHL’s most temperamental talents. He seems just as likely to float through a game unnoticed as he is to take over matters with a brilliant power-play goal. He found a solid place in Montreal, though, so you never know.
Habs Inside/Out also brings up the name of Dustin Penner, but there might be a reason why that won’t work out.
- That’s because the Edmonton Oilers will be without one of their other most important top six forwards themselves for as long as a month. We discussed Ales Hemsky’s problematic groin injury a few days ago and Joanne Ireland writes that a speedy recovery is not likely for the talented passer.
(Immature aside: I couldn’t help but giggle when I read Oilers coach Tom Renney’s quote on the subject: ““Groins are temperamental in terms of healing.” I’ll keep any further commentary to myself.)
- In the good news/bad news category of injuries, Alexei Ponikarovsky participated in his first full practice today and is reportedly on track to return to the Los Angeles Kings’ lineup on Thursday. The good news is that the Kings will bolster their thin forward corps. The bad news is that they’re doing so by bringing back Ponikarovsky, who has been ineffectual when he’s been able to play (two goals and two assists for four points in 13 games played).
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 11
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 36
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 32
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21