Dec 6, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
Here are a few tidbits from around the NHL, from trade scuttlebutt to injury updates.
- The Montreal Canadiens have plenty to be happy about right now thanks to the fantastic play of Carey Price, but that doesn’t mean that the team lacks its share of flaws. They could use another top six forward, for one thing, a subject that inspired Pierre McGuire to wonder if the team should try to reacquire mercurial forward Alex Kovalev.
Kovalev is one of the NHL’s most temperamental talents. He seems just as likely to float through a game unnoticed as he is to take over matters with a brilliant power-play goal. He found a solid place in Montreal, though, so you never know.
Habs Inside/Out also brings up the name of Dustin Penner, but there might be a reason why that won’t work out.
- That’s because the Edmonton Oilers will be without one of their other most important top six forwards themselves for as long as a month. We discussed Ales Hemsky’s problematic groin injury a few days ago and Joanne Ireland writes that a speedy recovery is not likely for the talented passer.
(Immature aside: I couldn’t help but giggle when I read Oilers coach Tom Renney’s quote on the subject: ““Groins are temperamental in terms of healing.” I’ll keep any further commentary to myself.)
- In the good news/bad news category of injuries, Alexei Ponikarovsky participated in his first full practice today and is reportedly on track to return to the Los Angeles Kings’ lineup on Thursday. The good news is that the Kings will bolster their thin forward corps. The bad news is that they’re doing so by bringing back Ponikarovsky, who has been ineffectual when he’s been able to play (two goals and two assists for four points in 13 games played).
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54