Dec 6, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
In what’s becoming a bit of a nagging issue for the streaking Pittsburgh Penguins, Evgeni Malkin will be out of the lineup for the second game in a row. Malkin also missed Saturday night’s game against Columbus as he’s dealing with a sore knee that’s causing him discomfort when skating.
Pens head coach Dan Bylsma has said that what’s ailing Malkin isn’t a structural problem in the knee, but it’s enough to keep him from playing at 100%. Malkin has been able to do OK this year scoring eight goals and 14 assists. They’re solid numbers, but not what you’d expect from a guy who is an absolute all world type of talent. If it’s the knee that’s been holding him back all along, then the Pens, winners of nine in a row, will only get better when he gets back in the lineup.
If there’s a bigger problem here, should the Penguins be worried? We know that Sidney Crosby has been out-of-this-world good this season. After all, he’s leading the league in goals and points and the Pens certainly wouldn’t be on their current hot streak without him. You have to think though that things will slow down at some point and defenses will be doing their damnedest to concentrate to try and stop Crosby. This is where having Malkin come into play becomes a big deal.
We don’t know when (or if) the Crosby gravy train will slow down, but having Malkin there to pick up the slack is where the Pens strength can come from to make them a thoroughly frightening team.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal