Dec 6, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
While the Leafs have been struggling most of this season, having to be without captain Dion Phaneuf for such a long stretch of time with a deep cut on his leg hasn’t made things any easier on the rest of the defense and the goaltending. The good news today for Toronto is that Phaneuf will join the Leafs on their brutal two-game road trip to Washington and Pittsburgh and begin practicing with the team.
It doesn’t appear likely that the Phaneuf will join the team for game action this week, but TSN does report that Phaneuf is on track to be able to play against his former team, Calgary, when they meet up on December 16th. Getting Phaneuf back into action will allow the Leafs to sit Brett Lebda once again as he’s been playing of late as well as send Keith Aulie back to the AHL.
Today’s good news on Phaneuf is balanced out with some bad news regarding starting goalie Jean-Sebastian Giguere. Giguere will miss tonight’s game against Washington with a tweaked groin. James Reimer was called up from the AHL to serve as Jonas Gustavsson’s backup for tonight at the least. Giguere has a 6-5-2 record this season with a .893 save percentage 2.82 goals against average.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)