Dec 6, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
While the Leafs have been struggling most of this season, having to be without captain Dion Phaneuf for such a long stretch of time with a deep cut on his leg hasn’t made things any easier on the rest of the defense and the goaltending. The good news today for Toronto is that Phaneuf will join the Leafs on their brutal two-game road trip to Washington and Pittsburgh and begin practicing with the team.
It doesn’t appear likely that the Phaneuf will join the team for game action this week, but TSN does report that Phaneuf is on track to be able to play against his former team, Calgary, when they meet up on December 16th. Getting Phaneuf back into action will allow the Leafs to sit Brett Lebda once again as he’s been playing of late as well as send Keith Aulie back to the AHL.
Today’s good news on Phaneuf is balanced out with some bad news regarding starting goalie Jean-Sebastian Giguere. Giguere will miss tonight’s game against Washington with a tweaked groin. James Reimer was called up from the AHL to serve as Jonas Gustavsson’s backup for tonight at the least. Giguere has a 6-5-2 record this season with a .893 save percentage 2.82 goals against average.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)