Dec 6, 2010, 12:28 PM EST
While the Leafs have been struggling most of this season, having to be without captain Dion Phaneuf for such a long stretch of time with a deep cut on his leg hasn’t made things any easier on the rest of the defense and the goaltending. The good news today for Toronto is that Phaneuf will join the Leafs on their brutal two-game road trip to Washington and Pittsburgh and begin practicing with the team.
It doesn’t appear likely that the Phaneuf will join the team for game action this week, but TSN does report that Phaneuf is on track to be able to play against his former team, Calgary, when they meet up on December 16th. Getting Phaneuf back into action will allow the Leafs to sit Brett Lebda once again as he’s been playing of late as well as send Keith Aulie back to the AHL.
Today’s good news on Phaneuf is balanced out with some bad news regarding starting goalie Jean-Sebastian Giguere. Giguere will miss tonight’s game against Washington with a tweaked groin. James Reimer was called up from the AHL to serve as Jonas Gustavsson’s backup for tonight at the least. Giguere has a 6-5-2 record this season with a .893 save percentage 2.82 goals against average.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)