Dec 5, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Thank goodness for Tim Thomas.
In a league full of good goalies, almost everyone is so bland. They all seem so focused on “staying in position” rather than flopping around and generally making the normally passive job of being a goalie into some kind of art.
He might not be the same intimidating (or “dominating”) force – at least image wise – as Dominik Hasek, but Thomas is this decade’s answer to the Czech goalie with that slinky spine.
That’s why Thomas won his fair share of save of the night awards already and will probably keep putting them up for a few more seasons. Some people are calling this overtime glove save a “save of the year candidate” and I must say it’s pretty tough to deny its brilliance.
Anyway, enough of my blathering, check out this sprawling glove save in all its glory.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 18
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 31
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 32
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 54
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 162
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (163)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (58)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)