Dec 5, 2010, 1:24 AM EDT
To read about today’s first two games, click here. If you want to know what happened in the Pittsburgh Penguins-Columbus Blue Jackets game and the Atlanta Thrashers-Washington Capitals game, click here. Finally, if you want even more recaps, click here.
(Today’s schedule obviously kept us busy.)
Nikolai Khabibulin certainly seems fresh coming back from injury, right? In two games back, The Bulin Wall only allowed one goal. He stopped 64 out of 65 shots in those two wins. Khabibulin outlasted Jaroslav Halak, who made 24 out of 26 saves in the loss.
Taylor Hall continued his hot streak by winning the game in overtime with his ninth goal of his rookie season. Ryan Jones scored the Oilers’ other goal while Eric Brewer provided the Blues’ only tally.
Edmonton is now on a four game winning streak, their best run of a mostly dismal 2010-11 campaign.
After going 1-7 in their last eight games, winning two games in a row – including tonight’s victory against arguably the best team in the NHL – must be quite the breath of fresh air for the Kings.
Much like their grind-it-out win against the Florida Panthers, the Kings won this game by 3-2, only this time they needed to go into overtime. The best part might be the fact that their best forward came through, as Anze Kopitar scored the overtime game winner.
Jonathan Quick stopped 27 out of 29 shots while Chris Osgood lost his first game start since October 30, allowing three goals on 25 shots.
Technically, the Red Wings are the second best team in the NHL with 37 points (the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals both have 38), but they’ve done so in four less games. Meanwhile, the Kings find themselves three points behind the streaking Dallas Stars for first place in the Pacific Division.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights