Dec 5, 2010, 1:24 AM EDT
To read about today’s first two games, click here. If you want to know what happened in the Pittsburgh Penguins-Columbus Blue Jackets game and the Atlanta Thrashers-Washington Capitals game, click here. Finally, if you want even more recaps, click here.
(Today’s schedule obviously kept us busy.)
Nikolai Khabibulin certainly seems fresh coming back from injury, right? In two games back, The Bulin Wall only allowed one goal. He stopped 64 out of 65 shots in those two wins. Khabibulin outlasted Jaroslav Halak, who made 24 out of 26 saves in the loss.
Taylor Hall continued his hot streak by winning the game in overtime with his ninth goal of his rookie season. Ryan Jones scored the Oilers’ other goal while Eric Brewer provided the Blues’ only tally.
Edmonton is now on a four game winning streak, their best run of a mostly dismal 2010-11 campaign.
After going 1-7 in their last eight games, winning two games in a row – including tonight’s victory against arguably the best team in the NHL – must be quite the breath of fresh air for the Kings.
Much like their grind-it-out win against the Florida Panthers, the Kings won this game by 3-2, only this time they needed to go into overtime. The best part might be the fact that their best forward came through, as Anze Kopitar scored the overtime game winner.
Jonathan Quick stopped 27 out of 29 shots while Chris Osgood lost his first game start since October 30, allowing three goals on 25 shots.
Technically, the Red Wings are the second best team in the NHL with 37 points (the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals both have 38), but they’ve done so in four less games. Meanwhile, the Kings find themselves three points behind the streaking Dallas Stars for first place in the Pacific Division.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54