Dec 5, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers won’t leave this weekend with many style points after squeaking by their shaky division rivals from New Jersey and Long Island, but all that really matters is that they took away four points from those two games. The Pittsburgh Penguins are still technically ahead of them in the Atlantic Division because they own a wins tie-breaker, but the Flyers have to be happy to be at the 38 point mark at this moment in the season.
Matt Carle began the game’s scoring in the first period, then the fireworks began after a scoreless second. P.A. Parentau and Frans Nielsen scored two goals 36 seconds apart to give the Islanders a surprising lead five minutes into the third, but Andreas Nodl tied it up and Daniel Briere scored the game winner.
Sergei Bobrovsky earned back-to-back wins in the Philly net, with this afternoon’s performance being the better of the two. He stopped 28 out of 30 shots to push the Flyers past the Islanders and Dwayne Roloson, who allowed three goals on 27 shots.
After only taking four shots in the first, the Islanders put up a valiant effort in the next two frames by putting up 26 shots.
The Flyers got the job done while the Islanders left the game with that familiar empty feeling.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)