Dec 5, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers won’t leave this weekend with many style points after squeaking by their shaky division rivals from New Jersey and Long Island, but all that really matters is that they took away four points from those two games. The Pittsburgh Penguins are still technically ahead of them in the Atlantic Division because they own a wins tie-breaker, but the Flyers have to be happy to be at the 38 point mark at this moment in the season.
Matt Carle began the game’s scoring in the first period, then the fireworks began after a scoreless second. P.A. Parentau and Frans Nielsen scored two goals 36 seconds apart to give the Islanders a surprising lead five minutes into the third, but Andreas Nodl tied it up and Daniel Briere scored the game winner.
Sergei Bobrovsky earned back-to-back wins in the Philly net, with this afternoon’s performance being the better of the two. He stopped 28 out of 30 shots to push the Flyers past the Islanders and Dwayne Roloson, who allowed three goals on 27 shots.
After only taking four shots in the first, the Islanders put up a valiant effort in the next two frames by putting up 26 shots.
The Flyers got the job done while the Islanders left the game with that familiar empty feeling.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)