Dec 5, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers won’t leave this weekend with many style points after squeaking by their shaky division rivals from New Jersey and Long Island, but all that really matters is that they took away four points from those two games. The Pittsburgh Penguins are still technically ahead of them in the Atlantic Division because they own a wins tie-breaker, but the Flyers have to be happy to be at the 38 point mark at this moment in the season.
Matt Carle began the game’s scoring in the first period, then the fireworks began after a scoreless second. P.A. Parentau and Frans Nielsen scored two goals 36 seconds apart to give the Islanders a surprising lead five minutes into the third, but Andreas Nodl tied it up and Daniel Briere scored the game winner.
Sergei Bobrovsky earned back-to-back wins in the Philly net, with this afternoon’s performance being the better of the two. He stopped 28 out of 30 shots to push the Flyers past the Islanders and Dwayne Roloson, who allowed three goals on 27 shots.
After only taking four shots in the first, the Islanders put up a valiant effort in the next two frames by putting up 26 shots.
The Flyers got the job done while the Islanders left the game with that familiar empty feeling.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 0
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)