Dec 5, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers won’t leave this weekend with many style points after squeaking by their shaky division rivals from New Jersey and Long Island, but all that really matters is that they took away four points from those two games. The Pittsburgh Penguins are still technically ahead of them in the Atlantic Division because they own a wins tie-breaker, but the Flyers have to be happy to be at the 38 point mark at this moment in the season.
Matt Carle began the game’s scoring in the first period, then the fireworks began after a scoreless second. P.A. Parentau and Frans Nielsen scored two goals 36 seconds apart to give the Islanders a surprising lead five minutes into the third, but Andreas Nodl tied it up and Daniel Briere scored the game winner.
Sergei Bobrovsky earned back-to-back wins in the Philly net, with this afternoon’s performance being the better of the two. He stopped 28 out of 30 shots to push the Flyers past the Islanders and Dwayne Roloson, who allowed three goals on 27 shots.
After only taking four shots in the first, the Islanders put up a valiant effort in the next two frames by putting up 26 shots.
The Flyers got the job done while the Islanders left the game with that familiar empty feeling.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 8
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 4
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 74
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 66
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)