Dec 5, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
As we mentioned when discussing the latest round of Brad Richards trade rumors, the Board of Governors meetings are coming up on Monday and Tuesday in Florida so the gossip is starting to gear up a bit today.
One team that might look to tweak its roster are the mediocre but occasionally promising Ottawa Senators. At the moment, Ottawa is stuck outside the Eastern Conference playoff picture. They’re in a cluster with the Carolina Hurricanes and Buffalo Sabres for ninth place, which is promising until you realize the fact that the eight place team is between six and seven points ahead of that bubble group.
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis has been trying to deal D Kevin Bieksa for a while (insert denial here) and will sooner or later.
However, the Canucks are being targeted by a lot of teams looking for blue-line help.
They’ve got both Bieksa (making $3.5 million US), who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and D Keith Ballard ($4.2 million), who has been a healthy scratch at various times this season.
Bieksa would be a better fit in Ottawa and the Senators have liked him for a long time.
“He’s got grit and he’d make it a little tougher for guys around the net. He’s dirty and that’s the kind of player Ottawa needs,” said the executive. “The Canucks are going for a Stanley Cup this year, they have to make sure Sami Salo is on track to return.”
Naturally, we’ll keep you abreast of the scuttlebutt, even if it ends up being more about general managers flirting with ideas than actually accomplishing anything tangible.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)