Dec 5, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
As we mentioned when discussing the latest round of Brad Richards trade rumors, the Board of Governors meetings are coming up on Monday and Tuesday in Florida so the gossip is starting to gear up a bit today.
One team that might look to tweak its roster are the mediocre but occasionally promising Ottawa Senators. At the moment, Ottawa is stuck outside the Eastern Conference playoff picture. They’re in a cluster with the Carolina Hurricanes and Buffalo Sabres for ninth place, which is promising until you realize the fact that the eight place team is between six and seven points ahead of that bubble group.
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis has been trying to deal D Kevin Bieksa for a while (insert denial here) and will sooner or later.
However, the Canucks are being targeted by a lot of teams looking for blue-line help.
They’ve got both Bieksa (making $3.5 million US), who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and D Keith Ballard ($4.2 million), who has been a healthy scratch at various times this season.
Bieksa would be a better fit in Ottawa and the Senators have liked him for a long time.
“He’s got grit and he’d make it a little tougher for guys around the net. He’s dirty and that’s the kind of player Ottawa needs,” said the executive. “The Canucks are going for a Stanley Cup this year, they have to make sure Sami Salo is on track to return.”
Naturally, we’ll keep you abreast of the scuttlebutt, even if it ends up being more about general managers flirting with ideas than actually accomplishing anything tangible.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)