Dec 5, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
As we mentioned when discussing the latest round of Brad Richards trade rumors, the Board of Governors meetings are coming up on Monday and Tuesday in Florida so the gossip is starting to gear up a bit today.
One team that might look to tweak its roster are the mediocre but occasionally promising Ottawa Senators. At the moment, Ottawa is stuck outside the Eastern Conference playoff picture. They’re in a cluster with the Carolina Hurricanes and Buffalo Sabres for ninth place, which is promising until you realize the fact that the eight place team is between six and seven points ahead of that bubble group.
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis has been trying to deal D Kevin Bieksa for a while (insert denial here) and will sooner or later.
However, the Canucks are being targeted by a lot of teams looking for blue-line help.
They’ve got both Bieksa (making $3.5 million US), who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and D Keith Ballard ($4.2 million), who has been a healthy scratch at various times this season.
Bieksa would be a better fit in Ottawa and the Senators have liked him for a long time.
“He’s got grit and he’d make it a little tougher for guys around the net. He’s dirty and that’s the kind of player Ottawa needs,” said the executive. “The Canucks are going for a Stanley Cup this year, they have to make sure Sami Salo is on track to return.”
Naturally, we’ll keep you abreast of the scuttlebutt, even if it ends up being more about general managers flirting with ideas than actually accomplishing anything tangible.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)