Dec 4, 2010, 9:33 PM EDT
There are some players who sport enough talent that they’re worth all of their injury problems, but even so, those fleeting healthy patches can be a cruel tease.
New York Rangers star Marian Gaborik is the poster child for playing precious too few games, but it might be time to add talented Edmonton Oilers playmaker Ales Hemsky to that list. After missing time since November 23 because of a groin injury, Hemsky returned for Wednesday’s game against the Montreal Canadiens. He was brilliant in that contest, scoring a goal and adding two assists.
Yet, almost as quickly as you can say “boy, they sure missed him,” it seems like Hemsky is unavailable once again. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports that Hemsky won’t play in tonight’s game against the St. Louis Blues and will be out indefinitely. Apparently the concern is that Hemsky’s groin injury might worsen from discomfort to a hernia.
It’s a real shame, though, because Hemsky has been very efficient so far this season, with seven goals and 11 assists for 18 points in 21 games. Then again, it’s not surprising either, as Hemsky only played 22 games last season and typically misses about 10 games per campaign.
If only the NHL could emulate its video games by turning injuries off …
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)