Dec 4, 2010, 9:33 PM EST
There are some players who sport enough talent that they’re worth all of their injury problems, but even so, those fleeting healthy patches can be a cruel tease.
New York Rangers star Marian Gaborik is the poster child for playing precious too few games, but it might be time to add talented Edmonton Oilers playmaker Ales Hemsky to that list. After missing time since November 23 because of a groin injury, Hemsky returned for Wednesday’s game against the Montreal Canadiens. He was brilliant in that contest, scoring a goal and adding two assists.
Yet, almost as quickly as you can say “boy, they sure missed him,” it seems like Hemsky is unavailable once again. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports that Hemsky won’t play in tonight’s game against the St. Louis Blues and will be out indefinitely. Apparently the concern is that Hemsky’s groin injury might worsen from discomfort to a hernia.
It’s a real shame, though, because Hemsky has been very efficient so far this season, with seven goals and 11 assists for 18 points in 21 games. Then again, it’s not surprising either, as Hemsky only played 22 games last season and typically misses about 10 games per campaign.
If only the NHL could emulate its video games by turning injuries off …
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)