Dec 4, 2010, 9:33 PM EDT
There are some players who sport enough talent that they’re worth all of their injury problems, but even so, those fleeting healthy patches can be a cruel tease.
New York Rangers star Marian Gaborik is the poster child for playing precious too few games, but it might be time to add talented Edmonton Oilers playmaker Ales Hemsky to that list. After missing time since November 23 because of a groin injury, Hemsky returned for Wednesday’s game against the Montreal Canadiens. He was brilliant in that contest, scoring a goal and adding two assists.
Yet, almost as quickly as you can say “boy, they sure missed him,” it seems like Hemsky is unavailable once again. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports that Hemsky won’t play in tonight’s game against the St. Louis Blues and will be out indefinitely. Apparently the concern is that Hemsky’s groin injury might worsen from discomfort to a hernia.
It’s a real shame, though, because Hemsky has been very efficient so far this season, with seven goals and 11 assists for 18 points in 21 games. Then again, it’s not surprising either, as Hemsky only played 22 games last season and typically misses about 10 games per campaign.
If only the NHL could emulate its video games by turning injuries off …
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)