Dec 4, 2010, 9:33 PM EST
There are some players who sport enough talent that they’re worth all of their injury problems, but even so, those fleeting healthy patches can be a cruel tease.
New York Rangers star Marian Gaborik is the poster child for playing precious too few games, but it might be time to add talented Edmonton Oilers playmaker Ales Hemsky to that list. After missing time since November 23 because of a groin injury, Hemsky returned for Wednesday’s game against the Montreal Canadiens. He was brilliant in that contest, scoring a goal and adding two assists.
Yet, almost as quickly as you can say “boy, they sure missed him,” it seems like Hemsky is unavailable once again. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports that Hemsky won’t play in tonight’s game against the St. Louis Blues and will be out indefinitely. Apparently the concern is that Hemsky’s groin injury might worsen from discomfort to a hernia.
It’s a real shame, though, because Hemsky has been very efficient so far this season, with seven goals and 11 assists for 18 points in 21 games. Then again, it’s not surprising either, as Hemsky only played 22 games last season and typically misses about 10 games per campaign.
If only the NHL could emulate its video games by turning injuries off …
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)