Dec 4, 2010, 9:33 PM EST
There are some players who sport enough talent that they’re worth all of their injury problems, but even so, those fleeting healthy patches can be a cruel tease.
New York Rangers star Marian Gaborik is the poster child for playing precious too few games, but it might be time to add talented Edmonton Oilers playmaker Ales Hemsky to that list. After missing time since November 23 because of a groin injury, Hemsky returned for Wednesday’s game against the Montreal Canadiens. He was brilliant in that contest, scoring a goal and adding two assists.
Yet, almost as quickly as you can say “boy, they sure missed him,” it seems like Hemsky is unavailable once again. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports that Hemsky won’t play in tonight’s game against the St. Louis Blues and will be out indefinitely. Apparently the concern is that Hemsky’s groin injury might worsen from discomfort to a hernia.
It’s a real shame, though, because Hemsky has been very efficient so far this season, with seven goals and 11 assists for 18 points in 21 games. Then again, it’s not surprising either, as Hemsky only played 22 games last season and typically misses about 10 games per campaign.
If only the NHL could emulate its video games by turning injuries off …
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)