Dec 3, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
In an 82-game season, it seems like just about anything can happen. George Parros can score two goals in one game. Martin Gerber can go 2-0, sport a 95 save percentage and (possibly?) never been seen in the NHL again. The Toronto Maple Leafs, Edmonton Oilers and New York Islanders can be on top of the league, even if it was just for a few games.
Still, there are some things you still never expect to see, such as:
- Philadelphia Flyers fans chanting “Crosby rocks” or Ottawa Senators fans chanting “We-love Heat-ley.”
- Henrik Sedin playing against (and fighting with) his brother Daniel.
- Alex Ovechkin looking extremely clumsy.
- Brent Sutter smiling.
Well, it’s an isolated incident. Something that might not happen for another 10 years or so … but perhaps that’s why we need to share the video documentation of it: yes, Ovechkin can look downright silly too.
Let’s not beat up Ovechkin too much. He’s easily one of the five most exhilarating players to watch in the entire league. Instead, just keep this in mind: you might have spilled coffee on your shirt, burned your hand while taking a Hot Pocket out of the microwave or made any other inelegant mistake … but for at least one moment, Ovechkin messed up too.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 36
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 2
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 18
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13