Dec 3, 2010, 1:07 AM EDT
Let’s take a look at a pretty wild night in the NHL, with eight games overall.
The Gionta brothers squared off in this one and older brother Brian’s team absolutely crushed the Devils. Johan Hedberg had one of the shortest non-injury related starts in recent memory, getting pulled after allowing two goals on three shots in the first 1:38. Carey Price stopped 27 out of 28 shots to help Montreal dominate New Jersey.
Things are starting to look pretty bad for the Maple Leafs while the Oilers seem like they’re building some momentum. Nikolai Khabibulin returned in style, earning a 33-save shutout. It was Edmonton’s young players who truly crushed Toronto’s spirit, though, as Taylor Hall scored two goals, Jordan Eberle had a goal and two assists and Ryan Whitney added two helpers.
The Rangers won a wild one in this game on the strength of a great performance by Marian Gaborik. The oft-injured yet sublime Slovakian scored three goals – including the game winner – and also added an assist. The Rangers rushed to a 2-0 lead, fell behind 3-2, got another nice lead at 5-3, then allowed the Islanders to tie it up before that Gabby game winning goal.
Marc Savard made his return in this one, but his teammates deserved the spotlight by crushing Tampa Bay. (Click here for the full recap.)
This one ended in some legitimate controversy, as a goal in the last 10 seconds was called off for goalie interference after Alex Ovechkin bumped Karlis Skrastins into Andrew Raycroft. It’s a shame, too, because it overshadows a fantastic performance by Raycroft, who stopped all but one of the 38 shots the Capitals sent his way.
In one of those “someone had to win it” games, the Kings finally got a win thanks to a late third period goal by Anze Kopitar. Jonathan Quick stopped 25 out of 27 shots to beat out Tomas Vokoun, who allowed three goals on 24 shots.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 12
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 21
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (94)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)