Dec 3, 2010, 2:06 PM EST
Despite the team’s three game winning streak and promising young talent, it’s never good to lose to the Edmonton Oilers by a score of 5-0. Especially at home. But when you consider the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs were that home team, an embarrassing loss transforms into a travesty in the pressure cooker atmosphere of Toronto.
There are certain stories that seem to inevitably pop up throughout a given year. From another glimpse of Kanye West’s Zdeno Chara-sized ego to Tomas Kaberle/Vincent Lecavalier trade rumors, it almost seems like the media figures that a rumor will turn into the truth with enough ink-soaked “at bats.”
That seems to be the case when it comes to the well-documented calls for the head of Leafs coach Ron Wilson, a story that once again surfaced like a pimple on Prom Night. Darren Dreger of TSN passes along word from Toronto GM Brian Burke that amounts to yet another “vote of confidence” as Burke reportedly isn’t planning on making any “drastic” changes.
There are no plans for drastic change in Toronto, including the firing of head coach Ron Wilson.
“No coaching change,” said Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke via e-mail, no doubt frustrated by his team’s play and the predictable line of questioning that inevitably follows each Leafs’ loss.
At this point – if you ask me – Burke and Wilson must be viewed as a package deal. I think Burke is actually a bit more to blame, as he reacted to the win-now philosophy in Toronto by investing far too much in talented but flawed forward Phil Kessel. In fact, most of his big gambles aren’t yielding many results, as expensive additions such as Dion Phaneuf and J.S. Giguere keep falling short of their paychecks.
Perhaps the Leafs could benefit from a clean sweep – from owners to general manager to their coaching staff – if they do indeed complete a sale with Rogers. It’s unclear what firing Wilson alone would really accomplish, aside from throwing a little meat to a rabid fan base.
Then being said, I thought I’d make this as simple as possible: who should go in Toronto? Vote in the poll below.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 135
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (135)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)