Dec 3, 2010, 2:06 PM EST
Despite the team’s three game winning streak and promising young talent, it’s never good to lose to the Edmonton Oilers by a score of 5-0. Especially at home. But when you consider the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs were that home team, an embarrassing loss transforms into a travesty in the pressure cooker atmosphere of Toronto.
There are certain stories that seem to inevitably pop up throughout a given year. From another glimpse of Kanye West’s Zdeno Chara-sized ego to Tomas Kaberle/Vincent Lecavalier trade rumors, it almost seems like the media figures that a rumor will turn into the truth with enough ink-soaked “at bats.”
That seems to be the case when it comes to the well-documented calls for the head of Leafs coach Ron Wilson, a story that once again surfaced like a pimple on Prom Night. Darren Dreger of TSN passes along word from Toronto GM Brian Burke that amounts to yet another “vote of confidence” as Burke reportedly isn’t planning on making any “drastic” changes.
There are no plans for drastic change in Toronto, including the firing of head coach Ron Wilson.
“No coaching change,” said Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke via e-mail, no doubt frustrated by his team’s play and the predictable line of questioning that inevitably follows each Leafs’ loss.
At this point – if you ask me – Burke and Wilson must be viewed as a package deal. I think Burke is actually a bit more to blame, as he reacted to the win-now philosophy in Toronto by investing far too much in talented but flawed forward Phil Kessel. In fact, most of his big gambles aren’t yielding many results, as expensive additions such as Dion Phaneuf and J.S. Giguere keep falling short of their paychecks.
Perhaps the Leafs could benefit from a clean sweep – from owners to general manager to their coaching staff – if they do indeed complete a sale with Rogers. It’s unclear what firing Wilson alone would really accomplish, aside from throwing a little meat to a rabid fan base.
Then being said, I thought I’d make this as simple as possible: who should go in Toronto? Vote in the poll below.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)