Dec 3, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
Things have been a little bit rocky lately for the Tampa Bay Lightning, even if they’re still having a much more positive campaign than last season. Vincent Lecavalier went down with an injury and was only mildly effective when he was playing. Simon Gagne just came back from neck problems and seems like he’s finally contributing something after going without a point in his first games with the team.
Perhaps most disturbingly, Steve Stamkos and the Lighting cooled off a bit lately, as the club went 1-2-1 in their last four games (including 6-0 and 8-1 beatings).
If the Lightning are going to right the ship, they might have to do it without one of their most underrated players. Damian Cristodero reports that Steve Downie is being evaluated today for what might be a broken ankle.
Downie is the tough-as-nails compliment to Stamkos and Martin St. Louis on one of the league’s most productive lines, so a significant injury would be a big blow. That being said, it’s not very easy to empathize with Downie; while he seems like he rejuvenated his career, he has a lengthy history of underhanded behavior.
While he’s far from an angel, the Lightning would still miss him if he’s out for a considerable amount of time. We’ll pass along word once it surfaces.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 0
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 7
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 10
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)