Dec 3, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
Things have been a little bit rocky lately for the Tampa Bay Lightning, even if they’re still having a much more positive campaign than last season. Vincent Lecavalier went down with an injury and was only mildly effective when he was playing. Simon Gagne just came back from neck problems and seems like he’s finally contributing something after going without a point in his first games with the team.
Perhaps most disturbingly, Steve Stamkos and the Lighting cooled off a bit lately, as the club went 1-2-1 in their last four games (including 6-0 and 8-1 beatings).
If the Lightning are going to right the ship, they might have to do it without one of their most underrated players. Damian Cristodero reports that Steve Downie is being evaluated today for what might be a broken ankle.
Downie is the tough-as-nails compliment to Stamkos and Martin St. Louis on one of the league’s most productive lines, so a significant injury would be a big blow. That being said, it’s not very easy to empathize with Downie; while he seems like he rejuvenated his career, he has a lengthy history of underhanded behavior.
While he’s far from an angel, the Lightning would still miss him if he’s out for a considerable amount of time. We’ll pass along word once it surfaces.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)