Dec 3, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
Things have been a little bit rocky lately for the Tampa Bay Lightning, even if they’re still having a much more positive campaign than last season. Vincent Lecavalier went down with an injury and was only mildly effective when he was playing. Simon Gagne just came back from neck problems and seems like he’s finally contributing something after going without a point in his first games with the team.
Perhaps most disturbingly, Steve Stamkos and the Lighting cooled off a bit lately, as the club went 1-2-1 in their last four games (including 6-0 and 8-1 beatings).
If the Lightning are going to right the ship, they might have to do it without one of their most underrated players. Damian Cristodero reports that Steve Downie is being evaluated today for what might be a broken ankle.
Downie is the tough-as-nails compliment to Stamkos and Martin St. Louis on one of the league’s most productive lines, so a significant injury would be a big blow. That being said, it’s not very easy to empathize with Downie; while he seems like he rejuvenated his career, he has a lengthy history of underhanded behavior.
While he’s far from an angel, the Lightning would still miss him if he’s out for a considerable amount of time. We’ll pass along word once it surfaces.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)