Dec 3, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Most of the time, the goal of the night is awarded to a player who makes a great move or provides some other flash of brilliance. Take Pavel Datsyuk’s goal from Tuesday, for example; sure, it made the San Jose Sharks’ defense look bad, but ultimately it was just about his ability to deke like no one else can.
This goal, however, is just as much a blooper by the victim/goalie as it is a great move by the goal scorer. Make no mistake, Dennis (“The Pain Sponge”) Seidenberg was very clever in faking a dump-in, but ultimately this will be seen as a gaffe by beleaguered Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Mike Smith.
It’s been that kind of week for Lightning goalies, as Dan Ellis allowed an embarrassing goal of his own while he misjudged the way a puck was moving.
The Lightning have a lot going for them right now, but top-notch netminding isn’t on the list. Have a hearty chuckle at Smith’s expense for Thursday’s goal of the night.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 9
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 81
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (80)