Dec 3, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Most of the time, the goal of the night is awarded to a player who makes a great move or provides some other flash of brilliance. Take Pavel Datsyuk’s goal from Tuesday, for example; sure, it made the San Jose Sharks’ defense look bad, but ultimately it was just about his ability to deke like no one else can.
This goal, however, is just as much a blooper by the victim/goalie as it is a great move by the goal scorer. Make no mistake, Dennis (“The Pain Sponge”) Seidenberg was very clever in faking a dump-in, but ultimately this will be seen as a gaffe by beleaguered Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Mike Smith.
It’s been that kind of week for Lightning goalies, as Dan Ellis allowed an embarrassing goal of his own while he misjudged the way a puck was moving.
The Lightning have a lot going for them right now, but top-notch netminding isn’t on the list. Have a hearty chuckle at Smith’s expense for Thursday’s goal of the night.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11