Dec 3, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Most of the time, the goal of the night is awarded to a player who makes a great move or provides some other flash of brilliance. Take Pavel Datsyuk’s goal from Tuesday, for example; sure, it made the San Jose Sharks’ defense look bad, but ultimately it was just about his ability to deke like no one else can.
This goal, however, is just as much a blooper by the victim/goalie as it is a great move by the goal scorer. Make no mistake, Dennis (“The Pain Sponge”) Seidenberg was very clever in faking a dump-in, but ultimately this will be seen as a gaffe by beleaguered Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Mike Smith.
It’s been that kind of week for Lightning goalies, as Dan Ellis allowed an embarrassing goal of his own while he misjudged the way a puck was moving.
The Lightning have a lot going for them right now, but top-notch netminding isn’t on the list. Have a hearty chuckle at Smith’s expense for Thursday’s goal of the night.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)