Dec 3, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Most of the time, the goal of the night is awarded to a player who makes a great move or provides some other flash of brilliance. Take Pavel Datsyuk’s goal from Tuesday, for example; sure, it made the San Jose Sharks’ defense look bad, but ultimately it was just about his ability to deke like no one else can.
This goal, however, is just as much a blooper by the victim/goalie as it is a great move by the goal scorer. Make no mistake, Dennis (“The Pain Sponge”) Seidenberg was very clever in faking a dump-in, but ultimately this will be seen as a gaffe by beleaguered Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Mike Smith.
It’s been that kind of week for Lightning goalies, as Dan Ellis allowed an embarrassing goal of his own while he misjudged the way a puck was moving.
The Lightning have a lot going for them right now, but top-notch netminding isn’t on the list. Have a hearty chuckle at Smith’s expense for Thursday’s goal of the night.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 34
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 27
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25