Dec 3, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Most of the time, the goal of the night is awarded to a player who makes a great move or provides some other flash of brilliance. Take Pavel Datsyuk’s goal from Tuesday, for example; sure, it made the San Jose Sharks’ defense look bad, but ultimately it was just about his ability to deke like no one else can.
This goal, however, is just as much a blooper by the victim/goalie as it is a great move by the goal scorer. Make no mistake, Dennis (“The Pain Sponge”) Seidenberg was very clever in faking a dump-in, but ultimately this will be seen as a gaffe by beleaguered Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Mike Smith.
It’s been that kind of week for Lightning goalies, as Dan Ellis allowed an embarrassing goal of his own while he misjudged the way a puck was moving.
The Lightning have a lot going for them right now, but top-notch netminding isn’t on the list. Have a hearty chuckle at Smith’s expense for Thursday’s goal of the night.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 21
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 13
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 10
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4