Dec 2, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
If all goes according to plan, and reports from sources are to be believed, Boston Bruins star centerman Marc Savard is going to be in the lineup tonight when the Bruins take on Tampa Bay in Boston. ESPN Boston’s Jimmy Murphy has the details.
As Savard spoke to the media after an optional skate Thursday morning at TD Garden, it was clear that the Bruins center, who has not played this season due to post-concussion syndrome, was itching to be in the lineup against the Lightning Thursday night.
“I think at the end of the day, skating every day and after practice and stuff, it gets long and gets a little monotonous, because you’re doing the same thing,” said Savard, who also thanked the team brass, medical staff and coaches for not letting him rush back. “When I am able to play, I can’t wait. It’s going to be an exciting time.”
The team gave him that clearance just a few hours before gametime. It is unclear how much ice time Savard will see.
This will mark the first time Savard has played since Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against Philadelphia. During the off-season, Savard was discovered to still be suffering from post-concussion syndrome and that’s kept him off the ice until recently when he was cleared for on-ice activities again.
The Bruins are in need of a consistent point producer on offense and nervously waiting out when/if Savard would return this year has clearly been their plan. Tonight, should he play, will be the moment all of Boston has been waiting for this season.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22