Dec 2, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
If all goes according to plan, and reports from sources are to be believed, Boston Bruins star centerman Marc Savard is going to be in the lineup tonight when the Bruins take on Tampa Bay in Boston. ESPN Boston’s Jimmy Murphy has the details.
As Savard spoke to the media after an optional skate Thursday morning at TD Garden, it was clear that the Bruins center, who has not played this season due to post-concussion syndrome, was itching to be in the lineup against the Lightning Thursday night.
“I think at the end of the day, skating every day and after practice and stuff, it gets long and gets a little monotonous, because you’re doing the same thing,” said Savard, who also thanked the team brass, medical staff and coaches for not letting him rush back. “When I am able to play, I can’t wait. It’s going to be an exciting time.”
The team gave him that clearance just a few hours before gametime. It is unclear how much ice time Savard will see.
This will mark the first time Savard has played since Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against Philadelphia. During the off-season, Savard was discovered to still be suffering from post-concussion syndrome and that’s kept him off the ice until recently when he was cleared for on-ice activities again.
The Bruins are in need of a consistent point producer on offense and nervously waiting out when/if Savard would return this year has clearly been their plan. Tonight, should he play, will be the moment all of Boston has been waiting for this season.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 57
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 27
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15