Dec 2, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
If all goes according to plan, and reports from sources are to be believed, Boston Bruins star centerman Marc Savard is going to be in the lineup tonight when the Bruins take on Tampa Bay in Boston. ESPN Boston’s Jimmy Murphy has the details.
As Savard spoke to the media after an optional skate Thursday morning at TD Garden, it was clear that the Bruins center, who has not played this season due to post-concussion syndrome, was itching to be in the lineup against the Lightning Thursday night.
“I think at the end of the day, skating every day and after practice and stuff, it gets long and gets a little monotonous, because you’re doing the same thing,” said Savard, who also thanked the team brass, medical staff and coaches for not letting him rush back. “When I am able to play, I can’t wait. It’s going to be an exciting time.”
The team gave him that clearance just a few hours before gametime. It is unclear how much ice time Savard will see.
This will mark the first time Savard has played since Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against Philadelphia. During the off-season, Savard was discovered to still be suffering from post-concussion syndrome and that’s kept him off the ice until recently when he was cleared for on-ice activities again.
The Bruins are in need of a consistent point producer on offense and nervously waiting out when/if Savard would return this year has clearly been their plan. Tonight, should he play, will be the moment all of Boston has been waiting for this season.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)