Dec 2, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Avalanche scoring forward Peter Mueller has missed all of this season dealing with issues involving post-concussion syndrome and the prognosis for his return isn’t looking very bright. Adrian Dater of The Denver Post gets the update on the injured forward and how what he’s going through right now might sound very familiar to Boston Bruins fans.
The Avalanche has confirmed that Mueller, in fact, is in Boston right now being seen by the same doctors who helped Bruins star Patrice Bergeron deal with a couple of serious concussions. Mueller, still only 22, is beyond frustrated with the lack of progress. In fact, he may be dealing with some of the same depression issues that another Boston star who was concussed – Marc Savard – was very candid about with the media recently, in describing what it was like for him during his latest injury.
A big problem with concussions is, and the same applies to Mueller’s situation is: you know what the symptoms are, but you don’t know what’s causing them. Right now, that’s the problem with Mueller.
What Mueller is dealing with sounds eerily similar to both what Patrice Bergeron and Marc Savard have dealt with in their past. For the Avs, their acquisition of Tomas Fleischmann from Washington now makes even more sense. While they were without Chris Stewart, getting another goal scorer made sense. Getting a guy who can take Mueller’s spot in the event he can’t get back on the ice anytime soon makes even more sense.
If the Avs can get Mueller back at all, the lift to their offense will be immense, not that they need it as the Avs are one of the top scoring teams in the league already. As it is, being without Mueller, Stewart, and T.J. Galiardi isn’t affecting the team too much as they’re near the top of the Northwest Division as it is. Having depth like that is nice and once all those guys are healthy, the Avs could prove to be a very dangerous team.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 3
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 3
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 10
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 3
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)