Dec 2, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Avalanche scoring forward Peter Mueller has missed all of this season dealing with issues involving post-concussion syndrome and the prognosis for his return isn’t looking very bright. Adrian Dater of The Denver Post gets the update on the injured forward and how what he’s going through right now might sound very familiar to Boston Bruins fans.
The Avalanche has confirmed that Mueller, in fact, is in Boston right now being seen by the same doctors who helped Bruins star Patrice Bergeron deal with a couple of serious concussions. Mueller, still only 22, is beyond frustrated with the lack of progress. In fact, he may be dealing with some of the same depression issues that another Boston star who was concussed – Marc Savard – was very candid about with the media recently, in describing what it was like for him during his latest injury.
A big problem with concussions is, and the same applies to Mueller’s situation is: you know what the symptoms are, but you don’t know what’s causing them. Right now, that’s the problem with Mueller.
What Mueller is dealing with sounds eerily similar to both what Patrice Bergeron and Marc Savard have dealt with in their past. For the Avs, their acquisition of Tomas Fleischmann from Washington now makes even more sense. While they were without Chris Stewart, getting another goal scorer made sense. Getting a guy who can take Mueller’s spot in the event he can’t get back on the ice anytime soon makes even more sense.
If the Avs can get Mueller back at all, the lift to their offense will be immense, not that they need it as the Avs are one of the top scoring teams in the league already. As it is, being without Mueller, Stewart, and T.J. Galiardi isn’t affecting the team too much as they’re near the top of the Northwest Division as it is. Having depth like that is nice and once all those guys are healthy, the Avs could prove to be a very dangerous team.
- In praise of John Tavares 5
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 18
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 13
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31