Dec 1, 2010, 10:38 PM EST
Just in case you have forgotten through the early part of this year, Tim Thomas is doing pretty well. Heading into tonight’s battle with the Philadelphia Flyers, Thomas’ stats were ridiculous. A 1.56 goals against average, a .951 save percentage and four shutouts. With a little revenge on their minds from last year’s playoffs, the Bruins got what they were looking for and Tim Thomas got his fifth shutout in the process beating Philly 3-0.
Thomas made 41 saves in the win, most of which were of the ridiculous and acrobatic variety. Thomas frustrated Flyers shooters all night long, meanwhile, the Bruins were getting the goals needed to get Thomas the win. Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin had first period goals and Milan Lucic added an empty net goal to finish things off.
The win snaps a two-game skid for Boston and gives the Bruins a slight taste of redemption after dropping a 3-0 series lead against the Flyers in the Eastern Conference semifinals back in the spring, ultimately losing the series in seven games. If you think that last year’s playoff failure Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards capped off the broadcast after Lucic’s empty netter saying, “Good night Irene! It’s three-zero and there’s not going to be a comeback tonight!”
For Philly, the loss is their third in a row and opens the door for the Penguins to overtake them in the Atlantic Division tomorrow night. Sergei Bobrovsky was solid in the loss saving 29 shots. For the Flyers, they’ll try to snap out of their funk on Saturday at home against New Jersey.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 21
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 67
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (67)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)