Dec 1, 2010, 10:38 PM EDT
Just in case you have forgotten through the early part of this year, Tim Thomas is doing pretty well. Heading into tonight’s battle with the Philadelphia Flyers, Thomas’ stats were ridiculous. A 1.56 goals against average, a .951 save percentage and four shutouts. With a little revenge on their minds from last year’s playoffs, the Bruins got what they were looking for and Tim Thomas got his fifth shutout in the process beating Philly 3-0.
Thomas made 41 saves in the win, most of which were of the ridiculous and acrobatic variety. Thomas frustrated Flyers shooters all night long, meanwhile, the Bruins were getting the goals needed to get Thomas the win. Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin had first period goals and Milan Lucic added an empty net goal to finish things off.
The win snaps a two-game skid for Boston and gives the Bruins a slight taste of redemption after dropping a 3-0 series lead against the Flyers in the Eastern Conference semifinals back in the spring, ultimately losing the series in seven games. If you think that last year’s playoff failure Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards capped off the broadcast after Lucic’s empty netter saying, “Good night Irene! It’s three-zero and there’s not going to be a comeback tonight!”
For Philly, the loss is their third in a row and opens the door for the Penguins to overtake them in the Atlantic Division tomorrow night. Sergei Bobrovsky was solid in the loss saving 29 shots. For the Flyers, they’ll try to snap out of their funk on Saturday at home against New Jersey.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)