Dec 1, 2010, 10:38 PM EDT
Just in case you have forgotten through the early part of this year, Tim Thomas is doing pretty well. Heading into tonight’s battle with the Philadelphia Flyers, Thomas’ stats were ridiculous. A 1.56 goals against average, a .951 save percentage and four shutouts. With a little revenge on their minds from last year’s playoffs, the Bruins got what they were looking for and Tim Thomas got his fifth shutout in the process beating Philly 3-0.
Thomas made 41 saves in the win, most of which were of the ridiculous and acrobatic variety. Thomas frustrated Flyers shooters all night long, meanwhile, the Bruins were getting the goals needed to get Thomas the win. Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin had first period goals and Milan Lucic added an empty net goal to finish things off.
The win snaps a two-game skid for Boston and gives the Bruins a slight taste of redemption after dropping a 3-0 series lead against the Flyers in the Eastern Conference semifinals back in the spring, ultimately losing the series in seven games. If you think that last year’s playoff failure Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards capped off the broadcast after Lucic’s empty netter saying, “Good night Irene! It’s three-zero and there’s not going to be a comeback tonight!”
For Philly, the loss is their third in a row and opens the door for the Penguins to overtake them in the Atlantic Division tomorrow night. Sergei Bobrovsky was solid in the loss saving 29 shots. For the Flyers, they’ll try to snap out of their funk on Saturday at home against New Jersey.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)