Dec 1, 2010, 10:38 PM EDT
Just in case you have forgotten through the early part of this year, Tim Thomas is doing pretty well. Heading into tonight’s battle with the Philadelphia Flyers, Thomas’ stats were ridiculous. A 1.56 goals against average, a .951 save percentage and four shutouts. With a little revenge on their minds from last year’s playoffs, the Bruins got what they were looking for and Tim Thomas got his fifth shutout in the process beating Philly 3-0.
Thomas made 41 saves in the win, most of which were of the ridiculous and acrobatic variety. Thomas frustrated Flyers shooters all night long, meanwhile, the Bruins were getting the goals needed to get Thomas the win. Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin had first period goals and Milan Lucic added an empty net goal to finish things off.
The win snaps a two-game skid for Boston and gives the Bruins a slight taste of redemption after dropping a 3-0 series lead against the Flyers in the Eastern Conference semifinals back in the spring, ultimately losing the series in seven games. If you think that last year’s playoff failure Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards capped off the broadcast after Lucic’s empty netter saying, “Good night Irene! It’s three-zero and there’s not going to be a comeback tonight!”
For Philly, the loss is their third in a row and opens the door for the Penguins to overtake them in the Atlantic Division tomorrow night. Sergei Bobrovsky was solid in the loss saving 29 shots. For the Flyers, they’ll try to snap out of their funk on Saturday at home against New Jersey.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 10
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)