Dec 1, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
When I saw that Martin St. Louis scored a game-tying goal with nine seconds left in last night’s come-from-behind win for the Tampa Bay Lightning against the Toronto Maple Leafs, I couldn’t help but think that there have been a lot of last minute (or so) goals lately. But perhaps it’s just a matter of paying more attention than usual?
Apparently Adam Kimmelman of NHL.com noticed the same thing and pointed out six instances of five teams stealing points in those late game situations since November 19.
In three of those situations over 11 days, Kimmelman recalls three instances in which those teams stole wins. The Lightning beat the Leafs, the Coyotes stole one from the Oilers and the Red Wings earned an unexpected two points versus the Flames.
While two other teams fell short of snatching wins despite three instances of late game heroics, they at least earned a point they maybe shouldn’t have. The Hurricanes did so against the Penguins on November 19, the Capitals accomplished the same thing the next night and then Washington coughed up a point to the Hurricanes on the 28th.
So, does this mean that there have been a lot more last minute goals lately? Not necessarily, but clearly there have been quite a few examples in the last two weeks. So, as they say, you haven’t won until the fat lady sings … especially against the Hurricanes.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)