Dec 1, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
When I saw that Martin St. Louis scored a game-tying goal with nine seconds left in last night’s come-from-behind win for the Tampa Bay Lightning against the Toronto Maple Leafs, I couldn’t help but think that there have been a lot of last minute (or so) goals lately. But perhaps it’s just a matter of paying more attention than usual?
Apparently Adam Kimmelman of NHL.com noticed the same thing and pointed out six instances of five teams stealing points in those late game situations since November 19.
In three of those situations over 11 days, Kimmelman recalls three instances in which those teams stole wins. The Lightning beat the Leafs, the Coyotes stole one from the Oilers and the Red Wings earned an unexpected two points versus the Flames.
While two other teams fell short of snatching wins despite three instances of late game heroics, they at least earned a point they maybe shouldn’t have. The Hurricanes did so against the Penguins on November 19, the Capitals accomplished the same thing the next night and then Washington coughed up a point to the Hurricanes on the 28th.
So, does this mean that there have been a lot more last minute goals lately? Not necessarily, but clearly there have been quite a few examples in the last two weeks. So, as they say, you haven’t won until the fat lady sings … especially against the Hurricanes.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (57)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)