Dec 1, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
When I saw that Martin St. Louis scored a game-tying goal with nine seconds left in last night’s come-from-behind win for the Tampa Bay Lightning against the Toronto Maple Leafs, I couldn’t help but think that there have been a lot of last minute (or so) goals lately. But perhaps it’s just a matter of paying more attention than usual?
Apparently Adam Kimmelman of NHL.com noticed the same thing and pointed out six instances of five teams stealing points in those late game situations since November 19.
In three of those situations over 11 days, Kimmelman recalls three instances in which those teams stole wins. The Lightning beat the Leafs, the Coyotes stole one from the Oilers and the Red Wings earned an unexpected two points versus the Flames.
While two other teams fell short of snatching wins despite three instances of late game heroics, they at least earned a point they maybe shouldn’t have. The Hurricanes did so against the Penguins on November 19, the Capitals accomplished the same thing the next night and then Washington coughed up a point to the Hurricanes on the 28th.
So, does this mean that there have been a lot more last minute goals lately? Not necessarily, but clearly there have been quite a few examples in the last two weeks. So, as they say, you haven’t won until the fat lady sings … especially against the Hurricanes.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 19
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)