Dec 1, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
When I saw that Martin St. Louis scored a game-tying goal with nine seconds left in last night’s come-from-behind win for the Tampa Bay Lightning against the Toronto Maple Leafs, I couldn’t help but think that there have been a lot of last minute (or so) goals lately. But perhaps it’s just a matter of paying more attention than usual?
Apparently Adam Kimmelman of NHL.com noticed the same thing and pointed out six instances of five teams stealing points in those late game situations since November 19.
In three of those situations over 11 days, Kimmelman recalls three instances in which those teams stole wins. The Lightning beat the Leafs, the Coyotes stole one from the Oilers and the Red Wings earned an unexpected two points versus the Flames.
While two other teams fell short of snatching wins despite three instances of late game heroics, they at least earned a point they maybe shouldn’t have. The Hurricanes did so against the Penguins on November 19, the Capitals accomplished the same thing the next night and then Washington coughed up a point to the Hurricanes on the 28th.
So, does this mean that there have been a lot more last minute goals lately? Not necessarily, but clearly there have been quite a few examples in the last two weeks. So, as they say, you haven’t won until the fat lady sings … especially against the Hurricanes.
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 0
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 6
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 23
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)