Dec 1, 2010, 12:46 AM EDT
(My old journalism professors who always cringed or griped when sports made it on the front page probably should look away from this story. Then again, I’m not sure why they would be reading a hockey Web site this late anyway, so let’s just move on.)
Judging from this video and common sense about the passion for pucks above the border, it was obvious that Sidney Crosby’s Olympic gold medal winning goal was a big deal in Vancouver and Canada overall. Canadian magazine MacLean’s thinks that moment was big enough to name Crosby its “newsmaker of the year.”
We’re not talking about sportsman of the year (like Sports Illustrated and other publications name every 12 months), but rather all news categories. The power of Crosby’s goal apparently towers over stories about war, politics, science and everything else.
Maclean’s says the 23-year-old native of Cole Harbour, N.S., native was chosen for his gold medal-winning goal against the United States at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. The Canadian magazine said Crosby’s overtime goal was on a “higher plane” than the wars, natural disasters and political upheavals of 2010.
Maclean’s says the goal united Canadians and dwarfed Crosby’s other achievements, which include a Stanley Cup and a host of personal awards.
Does this mean Canadians love hockey more than Americans love football? Perhaps.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)