Dec 1, 2010, 12:46 AM EDT
(My old journalism professors who always cringed or griped when sports made it on the front page probably should look away from this story. Then again, I’m not sure why they would be reading a hockey Web site this late anyway, so let’s just move on.)
Judging from this video and common sense about the passion for pucks above the border, it was obvious that Sidney Crosby’s Olympic gold medal winning goal was a big deal in Vancouver and Canada overall. Canadian magazine MacLean’s thinks that moment was big enough to name Crosby its “newsmaker of the year.”
We’re not talking about sportsman of the year (like Sports Illustrated and other publications name every 12 months), but rather all news categories. The power of Crosby’s goal apparently towers over stories about war, politics, science and everything else.
Maclean’s says the 23-year-old native of Cole Harbour, N.S., native was chosen for his gold medal-winning goal against the United States at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. The Canadian magazine said Crosby’s overtime goal was on a “higher plane” than the wars, natural disasters and political upheavals of 2010.
Maclean’s says the goal united Canadians and dwarfed Crosby’s other achievements, which include a Stanley Cup and a host of personal awards.
Does this mean Canadians love hockey more than Americans love football? Perhaps.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)