Dec 1, 2010, 12:46 AM EDT
(My old journalism professors who always cringed or griped when sports made it on the front page probably should look away from this story. Then again, I’m not sure why they would be reading a hockey Web site this late anyway, so let’s just move on.)
Judging from this video and common sense about the passion for pucks above the border, it was obvious that Sidney Crosby’s Olympic gold medal winning goal was a big deal in Vancouver and Canada overall. Canadian magazine MacLean’s thinks that moment was big enough to name Crosby its “newsmaker of the year.”
We’re not talking about sportsman of the year (like Sports Illustrated and other publications name every 12 months), but rather all news categories. The power of Crosby’s goal apparently towers over stories about war, politics, science and everything else.
Maclean’s says the 23-year-old native of Cole Harbour, N.S., native was chosen for his gold medal-winning goal against the United States at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. The Canadian magazine said Crosby’s overtime goal was on a “higher plane” than the wars, natural disasters and political upheavals of 2010.
Maclean’s says the goal united Canadians and dwarfed Crosby’s other achievements, which include a Stanley Cup and a host of personal awards.
Does this mean Canadians love hockey more than Americans love football? Perhaps.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)