Dec 1, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
This just in from the Bureau of the Obvious: Pavel Datsyuk is flat-out amazing. He scored 206 regular season goals in his nine year NHL career and I wouldn’t be surprised if 100 of them were absolute jaw droppers.
Beyond sporting a hockey IQ worthy of multiple Selke Trophies, one of the main things that sets the Russian superstar apart is his amazing ability to deke around defenseman and make them look stupid.
Tuesday’s goal of the night was a shining example of why playing against Datsyuk must generate a horrifying feeling of dread, even when you have what appears to be strength in numbers. He split two San Jose Sharks players – including underrated shutdown blueliner Marc-Edouard Vlasic – and was too fast for Patrick Marleau and too alert for Antero Niittymaki’s poke check to be stopped.
The moment I saw this goal, I knew it would be the best of the night and could very well be the best of this week, too. It will be hard for any other goal to top this one, but we’ll enjoy seeing if someone can pull that off.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)