Dec 1, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
This just in from the Bureau of the Obvious: Pavel Datsyuk is flat-out amazing. He scored 206 regular season goals in his nine year NHL career and I wouldn’t be surprised if 100 of them were absolute jaw droppers.
Beyond sporting a hockey IQ worthy of multiple Selke Trophies, one of the main things that sets the Russian superstar apart is his amazing ability to deke around defenseman and make them look stupid.
Tuesday’s goal of the night was a shining example of why playing against Datsyuk must generate a horrifying feeling of dread, even when you have what appears to be strength in numbers. He split two San Jose Sharks players – including underrated shutdown blueliner Marc-Edouard Vlasic – and was too fast for Patrick Marleau and too alert for Antero Niittymaki’s poke check to be stopped.
The moment I saw this goal, I knew it would be the best of the night and could very well be the best of this week, too. It will be hard for any other goal to top this one, but we’ll enjoy seeing if someone can pull that off.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 5
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 25
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)