Dec 1, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
This just in from the Bureau of the Obvious: Pavel Datsyuk is flat-out amazing. He scored 206 regular season goals in his nine year NHL career and I wouldn’t be surprised if 100 of them were absolute jaw droppers.
Beyond sporting a hockey IQ worthy of multiple Selke Trophies, one of the main things that sets the Russian superstar apart is his amazing ability to deke around defenseman and make them look stupid.
Tuesday’s goal of the night was a shining example of why playing against Datsyuk must generate a horrifying feeling of dread, even when you have what appears to be strength in numbers. He split two San Jose Sharks players – including underrated shutdown blueliner Marc-Edouard Vlasic – and was too fast for Patrick Marleau and too alert for Antero Niittymaki’s poke check to be stopped.
The moment I saw this goal, I knew it would be the best of the night and could very well be the best of this week, too. It will be hard for any other goal to top this one, but we’ll enjoy seeing if someone can pull that off.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 5
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)