Nov 30, 2010, 4:57 PM EDT
It seems that whenever the Red Wings go to San Jose you can expect things to get a little bit weird.
A power outage at HP Pavillion in San Jose is putting tonight’s Sharks game against the Red Wings in danger. The Red Wings had their morning skate at the arena canceled and now it’s up in the air as to whether or not tonight’s game will even happen. At 11:40 am Eastern time, the power to the arena went out and engineers have been working on the problem all day to get things together.
David Pollak of Working the Corners says that should they get things fixed, the condition of the ice won’t be a problem if the power is out less than six-to-eight hours. Red Wings forward Kris Draper informed XM Home Ice that the teams would be notified by 6:30 pm Eastern whether or not there will be a game tonight. 6:30 would make it about seven hours since the power went out so the time frame makes sense.
Pollak also mentions that the Sharks and Red Wings have seen a postponement once before in their history.
Obviously they need to get things back to normal down here if the game is to go on as scheduled. And it figures that it’s the Detroit Red Wings who are in town. The only NHL game ever postponed by rain involved the same two teams when flooding of the nearby Guadalupe River prevented safe access to the building in 1995.
You have to wonder about that though since arenas are kept cold to keep the ice in good shape and an arena without power is an arena without any refrigeration. Players hate skating on bad ice and having a rink that’s been sitting warmer than usual all day long is begging to have terrible ice. Even giving things the OK now, or anytime before 6:30, if the ice is going to be any good is begging to have a bad game out of both the Sharks and Red Wings. Both teams thrive on playing quickly so giving the fans a watered down product (no pun intended) is questionable.
It’s unknown as of yet how or when the teams will reschedule the game should the game be called off. At the very least, having a power outage at the arena gives me the opportunity to link you to a more than appropriate song (title-wise) by Scorpions.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)