Nov 30, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
It’s been a great couple weeks for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The team is on a seven game winning streak and are 9-0-1 in their last 10 games, a red-hot run that tied them with the Philadelphia Flyers in the Atlantic Division with 34 standings points (although Philly played in one less game, so they can take a two point lead with a win). Two of the biggest catalysts for that streak are two of the team’s biggest names: Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury.
While Crosby earned last week’s third star honors and is on a pace to top some of his single season highs, Fleury has gone from goat to the kind of goalie who earns $5 million per season and boasts a Stanley Cup on his resume.
The No.1 pick of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft won his last six starts, earning a shutout, allowed only one goal three times and was beaten just nine times overall during that span. Aside from allowing four goals in a win and registering a 88 save percentage against Carolina, his save percentage has been at 93 or higher in those six games.
Now, this isn’t some achievement award, though. Voters made their decision based on the best save (one would assume, at least) and as you can see from the poll results, Fleury beat Sergei Bobrovsky and the four other goalies.
OK, now that you’ve seen the poll results, here is the save that earned Fleury the honors for the week of November 22-28.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)