Nov 30, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
It’s been a great couple weeks for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The team is on a seven game winning streak and are 9-0-1 in their last 10 games, a red-hot run that tied them with the Philadelphia Flyers in the Atlantic Division with 34 standings points (although Philly played in one less game, so they can take a two point lead with a win). Two of the biggest catalysts for that streak are two of the team’s biggest names: Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury.
While Crosby earned last week’s third star honors and is on a pace to top some of his single season highs, Fleury has gone from goat to the kind of goalie who earns $5 million per season and boasts a Stanley Cup on his resume.
The No.1 pick of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft won his last six starts, earning a shutout, allowed only one goal three times and was beaten just nine times overall during that span. Aside from allowing four goals in a win and registering a 88 save percentage against Carolina, his save percentage has been at 93 or higher in those six games.
Now, this isn’t some achievement award, though. Voters made their decision based on the best save (one would assume, at least) and as you can see from the poll results, Fleury beat Sergei Bobrovsky and the four other goalies.
OK, now that you’ve seen the poll results, here is the save that earned Fleury the honors for the week of November 22-28.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)