Nov 30, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
It’s been a great couple weeks for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The team is on a seven game winning streak and are 9-0-1 in their last 10 games, a red-hot run that tied them with the Philadelphia Flyers in the Atlantic Division with 34 standings points (although Philly played in one less game, so they can take a two point lead with a win). Two of the biggest catalysts for that streak are two of the team’s biggest names: Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury.
While Crosby earned last week’s third star honors and is on a pace to top some of his single season highs, Fleury has gone from goat to the kind of goalie who earns $5 million per season and boasts a Stanley Cup on his resume.
The No.1 pick of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft won his last six starts, earning a shutout, allowed only one goal three times and was beaten just nine times overall during that span. Aside from allowing four goals in a win and registering a 88 save percentage against Carolina, his save percentage has been at 93 or higher in those six games.
Now, this isn’t some achievement award, though. Voters made their decision based on the best save (one would assume, at least) and as you can see from the poll results, Fleury beat Sergei Bobrovsky and the four other goalies.
OK, now that you’ve seen the poll results, here is the save that earned Fleury the honors for the week of November 22-28.
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 50
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)