Nov 30, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
It’s been a great couple weeks for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The team is on a seven game winning streak and are 9-0-1 in their last 10 games, a red-hot run that tied them with the Philadelphia Flyers in the Atlantic Division with 34 standings points (although Philly played in one less game, so they can take a two point lead with a win). Two of the biggest catalysts for that streak are two of the team’s biggest names: Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury.
While Crosby earned last week’s third star honors and is on a pace to top some of his single season highs, Fleury has gone from goat to the kind of goalie who earns $5 million per season and boasts a Stanley Cup on his resume.
The No.1 pick of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft won his last six starts, earning a shutout, allowed only one goal three times and was beaten just nine times overall during that span. Aside from allowing four goals in a win and registering a 88 save percentage against Carolina, his save percentage has been at 93 or higher in those six games.
Now, this isn’t some achievement award, though. Voters made their decision based on the best save (one would assume, at least) and as you can see from the poll results, Fleury beat Sergei Bobrovsky and the four other goalies.
OK, now that you’ve seen the poll results, here is the save that earned Fleury the honors for the week of November 22-28.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)