Nov 30, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Depending on who you ask in Toronto, the announcement today that Maple Leafs president and CEO Richard Peddie is retiring at the end of 2011 is either a moment to be sad or a moment to rejoice. Peddie has been with Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment since 1996 and while the organization has grown and been a huge money producer in Toronto since then, the Maple Leafs hockey team has been mired in failure, something which Peddie is seen as the figurehead for everything that’s gone wrong, especially since John Ferguson Jr. went away.
While Leafs GM Brian Burke is the brash face of the organization now and willing takes his lumps in the media, Peddie is sometimes cast as the “wacky” and occasionally clueless owner in that he comments every now and then on the state of the Leafs and what he says doesn’t often match up with what’s actually going on on the ice.
For now though, Leafs fans that felt like Peddie is more the impediment to success than a means to achieving it have every reason to be excited by this news. Then again, with big organizations like MLSE having one suit step away often means replacing them with a like-minded suit of their own. Enthusiasm should be tempered.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)