Nov 30, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Depending on who you ask in Toronto, the announcement today that Maple Leafs president and CEO Richard Peddie is retiring at the end of 2011 is either a moment to be sad or a moment to rejoice. Peddie has been with Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment since 1996 and while the organization has grown and been a huge money producer in Toronto since then, the Maple Leafs hockey team has been mired in failure, something which Peddie is seen as the figurehead for everything that’s gone wrong, especially since John Ferguson Jr. went away.
While Leafs GM Brian Burke is the brash face of the organization now and willing takes his lumps in the media, Peddie is sometimes cast as the “wacky” and occasionally clueless owner in that he comments every now and then on the state of the Leafs and what he says doesn’t often match up with what’s actually going on on the ice.
For now though, Leafs fans that felt like Peddie is more the impediment to success than a means to achieving it have every reason to be excited by this news. Then again, with big organizations like MLSE having one suit step away often means replacing them with a like-minded suit of their own. Enthusiasm should be tempered.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 1
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 19
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 37
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)