Nov 30, 2010, 11:25 PM EDT
While we have chosen some particularly splendid shootout goals for goal of the night awards, those goals still have that “yeah, but it was during a shootout” caveat.
Much like a great jam means more in a true basketball game than it does during a slam dunk contest, it always seems more impressive when a player scores a fancy breakaway goal in the heat of true NHL battle or via a penalty shot earned by a great play.
That’s what makes Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn’s breakaway goal that much more amazing. His subtle backhand move resembles the shootout trick employed by former Stars specialist Jussi Jokinen as well as current slick stickhandling Star Mike Ribeiro, but Benn pulled it off with talented St. Louis Blues defenseman Jack Johnson trying to slow him down.
Let’s take a look at the poll results.
It’s interesting to note that the poll was locked up not very long ago, with Benn and Alexander Semin tied at 8 votes and Jody Shelley close behind with seven. One last call for voting on Twitter brought out the Benn enthusiasts, though. Yet, I think after you watch the video of this goal, you’ll agree that maybe it was just reason emerging late in the process.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)