Nov 30, 2010, 11:25 PM EST
While we have chosen some particularly splendid shootout goals for goal of the night awards, those goals still have that “yeah, but it was during a shootout” caveat.
Much like a great jam means more in a true basketball game than it does during a slam dunk contest, it always seems more impressive when a player scores a fancy breakaway goal in the heat of true NHL battle or via a penalty shot earned by a great play.
That’s what makes Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn’s breakaway goal that much more amazing. His subtle backhand move resembles the shootout trick employed by former Stars specialist Jussi Jokinen as well as current slick stickhandling Star Mike Ribeiro, but Benn pulled it off with talented St. Louis Blues defenseman Jack Johnson trying to slow him down.
Let’s take a look at the poll results.
It’s interesting to note that the poll was locked up not very long ago, with Benn and Alexander Semin tied at 8 votes and Jody Shelley close behind with seven. One last call for voting on Twitter brought out the Benn enthusiasts, though. Yet, I think after you watch the video of this goal, you’ll agree that maybe it was just reason emerging late in the process.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)