Nov 30, 2010, 11:25 PM EDT
While we have chosen some particularly splendid shootout goals for goal of the night awards, those goals still have that “yeah, but it was during a shootout” caveat.
Much like a great jam means more in a true basketball game than it does during a slam dunk contest, it always seems more impressive when a player scores a fancy breakaway goal in the heat of true NHL battle or via a penalty shot earned by a great play.
That’s what makes Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn’s breakaway goal that much more amazing. His subtle backhand move resembles the shootout trick employed by former Stars specialist Jussi Jokinen as well as current slick stickhandling Star Mike Ribeiro, but Benn pulled it off with talented St. Louis Blues defenseman Jack Johnson trying to slow him down.
Let’s take a look at the poll results.
It’s interesting to note that the poll was locked up not very long ago, with Benn and Alexander Semin tied at 8 votes and Jody Shelley close behind with seven. One last call for voting on Twitter brought out the Benn enthusiasts, though. Yet, I think after you watch the video of this goal, you’ll agree that maybe it was just reason emerging late in the process.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)