Nov 30, 2010, 11:25 PM EDT
While we have chosen some particularly splendid shootout goals for goal of the night awards, those goals still have that “yeah, but it was during a shootout” caveat.
Much like a great jam means more in a true basketball game than it does during a slam dunk contest, it always seems more impressive when a player scores a fancy breakaway goal in the heat of true NHL battle or via a penalty shot earned by a great play.
That’s what makes Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn’s breakaway goal that much more amazing. His subtle backhand move resembles the shootout trick employed by former Stars specialist Jussi Jokinen as well as current slick stickhandling Star Mike Ribeiro, but Benn pulled it off with talented St. Louis Blues defenseman Jack Johnson trying to slow him down.
Let’s take a look at the poll results.
It’s interesting to note that the poll was locked up not very long ago, with Benn and Alexander Semin tied at 8 votes and Jody Shelley close behind with seven. One last call for voting on Twitter brought out the Benn enthusiasts, though. Yet, I think after you watch the video of this goal, you’ll agree that maybe it was just reason emerging late in the process.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)