Nov 30, 2010, 11:25 PM EDT
While we have chosen some particularly splendid shootout goals for goal of the night awards, those goals still have that “yeah, but it was during a shootout” caveat.
Much like a great jam means more in a true basketball game than it does during a slam dunk contest, it always seems more impressive when a player scores a fancy breakaway goal in the heat of true NHL battle or via a penalty shot earned by a great play.
That’s what makes Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn’s breakaway goal that much more amazing. His subtle backhand move resembles the shootout trick employed by former Stars specialist Jussi Jokinen as well as current slick stickhandling Star Mike Ribeiro, but Benn pulled it off with talented St. Louis Blues defenseman Jack Johnson trying to slow him down.
Let’s take a look at the poll results.
It’s interesting to note that the poll was locked up not very long ago, with Benn and Alexander Semin tied at 8 votes and Jody Shelley close behind with seven. One last call for voting on Twitter brought out the Benn enthusiasts, though. Yet, I think after you watch the video of this goal, you’ll agree that maybe it was just reason emerging late in the process.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)