Nov 30, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT
Here are two minor signings from around the NHL today.
- The New York Islanders signed Jeremy Colliton (drafted in the second round – 58th overall – in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft) to a one year, two-way contract. The center hasn’t played at the NHL level since the 08-09 season when he appeared in six games, putting up one assist while averaging 11 minutes per contest. Colliton also played in 16 games in 07-08 and 19 games (a career high) all the way back in 05-06.
In his 42 games as an NHL player over four seasons, Colliton scored one goal and two assists for three points with a -5 rating and 16 penalty minutes.
- Chris Vivlamore reports that the Atlanta Thrashers signed undersized 28-year-old journeyman forward Tim Stapleton to a two year contract that will be a two-way deal this season and a full NHL one in 2011-12. He had been playing with the San Antonio Rampage before the Thrashers signed him to this deal.
He joined the team in Denver today to be part of their roster as they prepare for a 10:00 pm ET game against the Avalanche, but it’s unclear if Stapleton will actually play for Atlanta. Still, he was very excited about the signing.
The contract is a two-way deal this season, worth $525,000 in the NHL and $105,000 in the AHL. Next season’s NHL deal will be worth $525,000.
“I’ve never had that,” Stapleton said of an NHL contract. “It’s something you strive for your whole career. I’ve been playing since I was three years old so I’m really excited about it. It hasn’t really hit me yet. I was in San Antonio 48 hours ago. To be here now, it’s been so surreal.”
Stapleton played six games with the Thrashers last season and scored two goals. He was a free agent following the season and not re-signed. The 5-foot-9, 160-pound Stapleton played 20 games for the Rampage with eight goals and seven assists this season.
Stapleton said he was trying to work out a deal with Phoenix before the Thrashers made him an offer.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)