Nov 30, 2010, 4:34 PM EDT
The Flyers are about to have a goaltending logjam and some roster questions to answer. Injured one-time starting goalie Michael Leighton is on his way to Adirondack in the AHL as part of a rehab assignment following back surgery in September. Leighton was the incumbent starter of the Flyers following his tremendous run at the end of last season bringing the Flyers to the playoffs and into the Stanley Cup finals.
The Flyers made no goaltending signings in the off-season and opted to run with Leighton and Brian Boucher in goal to start the year, but Leighton’s injury in preseason forced rookie Sergei Bobrovsky into the mix. Luckily for the Flyers, Bobrovsky has been virtually flawless since joining the Flyers and has seized control of the starting job.
When Leighton is ready to return, the Flyers will have to make a choice as to what happens (likely) between Brian Boucher and Leighton to see who gets to be Bobrovsky’s backup. Boucher hasn’t played badly, but you have to think Leighton’s new contract in the off-season makes him the front-runner to stick around.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)