Nov 30, 2010, 4:34 PM EST
The Flyers are about to have a goaltending logjam and some roster questions to answer. Injured one-time starting goalie Michael Leighton is on his way to Adirondack in the AHL as part of a rehab assignment following back surgery in September. Leighton was the incumbent starter of the Flyers following his tremendous run at the end of last season bringing the Flyers to the playoffs and into the Stanley Cup finals.
The Flyers made no goaltending signings in the off-season and opted to run with Leighton and Brian Boucher in goal to start the year, but Leighton’s injury in preseason forced rookie Sergei Bobrovsky into the mix. Luckily for the Flyers, Bobrovsky has been virtually flawless since joining the Flyers and has seized control of the starting job.
When Leighton is ready to return, the Flyers will have to make a choice as to what happens (likely) between Brian Boucher and Leighton to see who gets to be Bobrovsky’s backup. Boucher hasn’t played badly, but you have to think Leighton’s new contract in the off-season makes him the front-runner to stick around.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)