Nov 30, 2010, 4:34 PM EDT
The Flyers are about to have a goaltending logjam and some roster questions to answer. Injured one-time starting goalie Michael Leighton is on his way to Adirondack in the AHL as part of a rehab assignment following back surgery in September. Leighton was the incumbent starter of the Flyers following his tremendous run at the end of last season bringing the Flyers to the playoffs and into the Stanley Cup finals.
The Flyers made no goaltending signings in the off-season and opted to run with Leighton and Brian Boucher in goal to start the year, but Leighton’s injury in preseason forced rookie Sergei Bobrovsky into the mix. Luckily for the Flyers, Bobrovsky has been virtually flawless since joining the Flyers and has seized control of the starting job.
When Leighton is ready to return, the Flyers will have to make a choice as to what happens (likely) between Brian Boucher and Leighton to see who gets to be Bobrovsky’s backup. Boucher hasn’t played badly, but you have to think Leighton’s new contract in the off-season makes him the front-runner to stick around.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 47
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)