Nov 30, 2010, 4:34 PM EST
The Flyers are about to have a goaltending logjam and some roster questions to answer. Injured one-time starting goalie Michael Leighton is on his way to Adirondack in the AHL as part of a rehab assignment following back surgery in September. Leighton was the incumbent starter of the Flyers following his tremendous run at the end of last season bringing the Flyers to the playoffs and into the Stanley Cup finals.
The Flyers made no goaltending signings in the off-season and opted to run with Leighton and Brian Boucher in goal to start the year, but Leighton’s injury in preseason forced rookie Sergei Bobrovsky into the mix. Luckily for the Flyers, Bobrovsky has been virtually flawless since joining the Flyers and has seized control of the starting job.
When Leighton is ready to return, the Flyers will have to make a choice as to what happens (likely) between Brian Boucher and Leighton to see who gets to be Bobrovsky’s backup. Boucher hasn’t played badly, but you have to think Leighton’s new contract in the off-season makes him the front-runner to stick around.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 14
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)