Nov 30, 2010, 4:34 PM EDT
The Flyers are about to have a goaltending logjam and some roster questions to answer. Injured one-time starting goalie Michael Leighton is on his way to Adirondack in the AHL as part of a rehab assignment following back surgery in September. Leighton was the incumbent starter of the Flyers following his tremendous run at the end of last season bringing the Flyers to the playoffs and into the Stanley Cup finals.
The Flyers made no goaltending signings in the off-season and opted to run with Leighton and Brian Boucher in goal to start the year, but Leighton’s injury in preseason forced rookie Sergei Bobrovsky into the mix. Luckily for the Flyers, Bobrovsky has been virtually flawless since joining the Flyers and has seized control of the starting job.
When Leighton is ready to return, the Flyers will have to make a choice as to what happens (likely) between Brian Boucher and Leighton to see who gets to be Bobrovsky’s backup. Boucher hasn’t played badly, but you have to think Leighton’s new contract in the off-season makes him the front-runner to stick around.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 9
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 19
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 40
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 64
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (101)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)