Nov 29, 2010, 2:31 PM EST
There are many ways that men (and women, for sure, but mostly goofy guys such as myself) celebrate even the most minor of victories. Naturally, the “high five” is one of the oldest – and most natural – expressions of the joys of success. Yet, with sports highlight shows and all that, winning in style requires variations.
Off the top of my head, those variations include:
- The oft-ridiculed fist bump, occasionally accompanied by an “explosion” hand motion.
- Group football touchdown rituals, including a bunch of players huddling together and spinning a football. (These have become far less common now that “the No Fun League” started penalizing such actions).
- Some hopping celebration, whether it be the midair chest bump or the underrated shoulder-to-shoulder bump.
Of course, in hockey, the most common celebration is a big, sweaty, awkward hug after a goal. Alex Ovechkin perfected and popularized a “Lambeau-Leap” inspired hop into the boards, as well.
But not much is made of post-victory celebrations. Well, you know things are going relatively well for the Montreal Canadiens when the focus isn’t on low scoring or goalie controversies but rather rituals players go through after wins.
Carey Price and P.K. Subban’s tradition is the “triple low 5,” something that they have been able to practice with impressive frequency as the top team in the Northeast Division (with 15 wins so far). You can learn more about it in this video, which delightfully includes a song by the Beastie Boys.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11