Nov 29, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
There are many ways that men (and women, for sure, but mostly goofy guys such as myself) celebrate even the most minor of victories. Naturally, the “high five” is one of the oldest – and most natural – expressions of the joys of success. Yet, with sports highlight shows and all that, winning in style requires variations.
Off the top of my head, those variations include:
- The oft-ridiculed fist bump, occasionally accompanied by an “explosion” hand motion.
- Group football touchdown rituals, including a bunch of players huddling together and spinning a football. (These have become far less common now that “the No Fun League” started penalizing such actions).
- Some hopping celebration, whether it be the midair chest bump or the underrated shoulder-to-shoulder bump.
Of course, in hockey, the most common celebration is a big, sweaty, awkward hug after a goal. Alex Ovechkin perfected and popularized a “Lambeau-Leap” inspired hop into the boards, as well.
But not much is made of post-victory celebrations. Well, you know things are going relatively well for the Montreal Canadiens when the focus isn’t on low scoring or goalie controversies but rather rituals players go through after wins.
Carey Price and P.K. Subban’s tradition is the “triple low 5,” something that they have been able to practice with impressive frequency as the top team in the Northeast Division (with 15 wins so far). You can learn more about it in this video, which delightfully includes a song by the Beastie Boys.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)