Nov 29, 2010, 2:31 PM EST
There are many ways that men (and women, for sure, but mostly goofy guys such as myself) celebrate even the most minor of victories. Naturally, the “high five” is one of the oldest – and most natural – expressions of the joys of success. Yet, with sports highlight shows and all that, winning in style requires variations.
Off the top of my head, those variations include:
- The oft-ridiculed fist bump, occasionally accompanied by an “explosion” hand motion.
- Group football touchdown rituals, including a bunch of players huddling together and spinning a football. (These have become far less common now that “the No Fun League” started penalizing such actions).
- Some hopping celebration, whether it be the midair chest bump or the underrated shoulder-to-shoulder bump.
Of course, in hockey, the most common celebration is a big, sweaty, awkward hug after a goal. Alex Ovechkin perfected and popularized a “Lambeau-Leap” inspired hop into the boards, as well.
But not much is made of post-victory celebrations. Well, you know things are going relatively well for the Montreal Canadiens when the focus isn’t on low scoring or goalie controversies but rather rituals players go through after wins.
Carey Price and P.K. Subban’s tradition is the “triple low 5,” something that they have been able to practice with impressive frequency as the top team in the Northeast Division (with 15 wins so far). You can learn more about it in this video, which delightfully includes a song by the Beastie Boys.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (113)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)