Nov 29, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
There are many ways that men (and women, for sure, but mostly goofy guys such as myself) celebrate even the most minor of victories. Naturally, the “high five” is one of the oldest – and most natural – expressions of the joys of success. Yet, with sports highlight shows and all that, winning in style requires variations.
Off the top of my head, those variations include:
- The oft-ridiculed fist bump, occasionally accompanied by an “explosion” hand motion.
- Group football touchdown rituals, including a bunch of players huddling together and spinning a football. (These have become far less common now that “the No Fun League” started penalizing such actions).
- Some hopping celebration, whether it be the midair chest bump or the underrated shoulder-to-shoulder bump.
Of course, in hockey, the most common celebration is a big, sweaty, awkward hug after a goal. Alex Ovechkin perfected and popularized a “Lambeau-Leap” inspired hop into the boards, as well.
But not much is made of post-victory celebrations. Well, you know things are going relatively well for the Montreal Canadiens when the focus isn’t on low scoring or goalie controversies but rather rituals players go through after wins.
Carey Price and P.K. Subban’s tradition is the “triple low 5,” something that they have been able to practice with impressive frequency as the top team in the Northeast Division (with 15 wins so far). You can learn more about it in this video, which delightfully includes a song by the Beastie Boys.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)