Nov 29, 2010, 12:33 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov didn’t have the best overall night of all the goalies who played on Sunday. That would be Ondrej Pavelec, who helped the Atlanta Thrashers win their fifth consecutive game by allowing only one goal on 41 shots.
He didn’t make the most saves in the Hurricanes-Capitals shootout win, either. Cam Ward stopped 38 out of 40 shots to keep Carolina in the game.
Nope, Varlamov just made what was (in my opinion), the best save of the night. For one thing, it came at a key time in the game, as a Hurricanes goal would have meant an overtime loss. It was a beautiful chance, too, as Sergei Samsonov fed
Joe Corvo Ian White in prime goal scoring territory. Varlamov stopped it, though, and then shut down Carolina during the shootout to win again for Washington.
So, does this mean he’s the starter now instead of Michal Neuvirth? We’ll see. In the mean time, enjoy the save.
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans have a right to be upset with St. Louis 2
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)