Nov 29, 2010, 12:33 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov didn’t have the best overall night of all the goalies who played on Sunday. That would be Ondrej Pavelec, who helped the Atlanta Thrashers win their fifth consecutive game by allowing only one goal on 41 shots.
He didn’t make the most saves in the Hurricanes-Capitals shootout win, either. Cam Ward stopped 38 out of 40 shots to keep Carolina in the game.
Nope, Varlamov just made what was (in my opinion), the best save of the night. For one thing, it came at a key time in the game, as a Hurricanes goal would have meant an overtime loss. It was a beautiful chance, too, as Sergei Samsonov fed
Joe Corvo Ian White in prime goal scoring territory. Varlamov stopped it, though, and then shut down Carolina during the shootout to win again for Washington.
So, does this mean he’s the starter now instead of Michal Neuvirth? We’ll see. In the mean time, enjoy the save.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5