Nov 29, 2010, 12:33 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov didn’t have the best overall night of all the goalies who played on Sunday. That would be Ondrej Pavelec, who helped the Atlanta Thrashers win their fifth consecutive game by allowing only one goal on 41 shots.
He didn’t make the most saves in the Hurricanes-Capitals shootout win, either. Cam Ward stopped 38 out of 40 shots to keep Carolina in the game.
Nope, Varlamov just made what was (in my opinion), the best save of the night. For one thing, it came at a key time in the game, as a Hurricanes goal would have meant an overtime loss. It was a beautiful chance, too, as Sergei Samsonov fed
Joe Corvo Ian White in prime goal scoring territory. Varlamov stopped it, though, and then shut down Carolina during the shootout to win again for Washington.
So, does this mean he’s the starter now instead of Michal Neuvirth? We’ll see. In the mean time, enjoy the save.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)