Nov 29, 2010, 12:33 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov didn’t have the best overall night of all the goalies who played on Sunday. That would be Ondrej Pavelec, who helped the Atlanta Thrashers win their fifth consecutive game by allowing only one goal on 41 shots.
He didn’t make the most saves in the Hurricanes-Capitals shootout win, either. Cam Ward stopped 38 out of 40 shots to keep Carolina in the game.
Nope, Varlamov just made what was (in my opinion), the best save of the night. For one thing, it came at a key time in the game, as a Hurricanes goal would have meant an overtime loss. It was a beautiful chance, too, as Sergei Samsonov fed
Joe Corvo Ian White in prime goal scoring territory. Varlamov stopped it, though, and then shut down Carolina during the shootout to win again for Washington.
So, does this mean he’s the starter now instead of Michal Neuvirth? We’ll see. In the mean time, enjoy the save.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)