Nov 29, 2010, 12:33 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov didn’t have the best overall night of all the goalies who played on Sunday. That would be Ondrej Pavelec, who helped the Atlanta Thrashers win their fifth consecutive game by allowing only one goal on 41 shots.
He didn’t make the most saves in the Hurricanes-Capitals shootout win, either. Cam Ward stopped 38 out of 40 shots to keep Carolina in the game.
Nope, Varlamov just made what was (in my opinion), the best save of the night. For one thing, it came at a key time in the game, as a Hurricanes goal would have meant an overtime loss. It was a beautiful chance, too, as Sergei Samsonov fed
Joe Corvo Ian White in prime goal scoring territory. Varlamov stopped it, though, and then shut down Carolina during the shootout to win again for Washington.
So, does this mean he’s the starter now instead of Michal Neuvirth? We’ll see. In the mean time, enjoy the save.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)