Nov 29, 2010, 9:40 PM EST
The Rangers and Penguins have developed a pretty healthy dislike for each other this year and with how things are playing out in tonight’s game, it’s not likely that those ill feelings are going to go away any time soon.
During the first period of tonight’s game, Rangers forward Ryan Callahan was called for an interference minor when he, on first glance, appeared to take a run at Sidney Crosby and fell to the ice. Looking closer at the play, something a bit more seemingly sinister went down. Puck Central shows us video of what happens when Crosby apparently delivered a slew foot to Callahan (update: Here’s a YouTube link that works.)
During the first intermission, MSG Network’s interview was with forward Brandon Dubinsky who got his feelings out about what he thought of the play. Chris Botta of NHL Fanhouse brings the details as well as what a former Rangers legend had to say about it.
“That’s a dirty play,” Rangers center Brandon Dubinsky said of Crosby in a broadcast interview during the first intermission. “He’s a guy who tries to get away with a lot of that stuff. He complains a lot.”
Crosby was not given a penalty on the play. Callahan was given a two-minute minor for interference.
“It’s a play that the NHL has tried to get rid of,” said Rangers Hall of Fame defenseman Brian Leetch, who now serves as a studio analyst on the team’s broadcasts on MSG Network. “It’s a dirty play.”
Well then. For what it’s worth, the Rangers didn’t try to get any redemption on Crosby for the hit until late in the third period, Rangers agitator Sean Avery made a run at Crosby and was dropped to the ice by the Penguins captain away from the play. Crosby was given an tripping minor on the play, much to the joy of the New York crowd. Pittsburgh got the final say winning the game 3-1.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)