Nov 29, 2010, 9:40 PM EST
The Rangers and Penguins have developed a pretty healthy dislike for each other this year and with how things are playing out in tonight’s game, it’s not likely that those ill feelings are going to go away any time soon.
During the first period of tonight’s game, Rangers forward Ryan Callahan was called for an interference minor when he, on first glance, appeared to take a run at Sidney Crosby and fell to the ice. Looking closer at the play, something a bit more seemingly sinister went down. Puck Central shows us video of what happens when Crosby apparently delivered a slew foot to Callahan (update: Here’s a YouTube link that works.)
During the first intermission, MSG Network’s interview was with forward Brandon Dubinsky who got his feelings out about what he thought of the play. Chris Botta of NHL Fanhouse brings the details as well as what a former Rangers legend had to say about it.
“That’s a dirty play,” Rangers center Brandon Dubinsky said of Crosby in a broadcast interview during the first intermission. “He’s a guy who tries to get away with a lot of that stuff. He complains a lot.”
Crosby was not given a penalty on the play. Callahan was given a two-minute minor for interference.
“It’s a play that the NHL has tried to get rid of,” said Rangers Hall of Fame defenseman Brian Leetch, who now serves as a studio analyst on the team’s broadcasts on MSG Network. “It’s a dirty play.”
Well then. For what it’s worth, the Rangers didn’t try to get any redemption on Crosby for the hit until late in the third period, Rangers agitator Sean Avery made a run at Crosby and was dropped to the ice by the Penguins captain away from the play. Crosby was given an tripping minor on the play, much to the joy of the New York crowd. Pittsburgh got the final say winning the game 3-1.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)