Nov 29, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
The Rangers and Penguins have developed a pretty healthy dislike for each other this year and with how things are playing out in tonight’s game, it’s not likely that those ill feelings are going to go away any time soon.
During the first period of tonight’s game, Rangers forward Ryan Callahan was called for an interference minor when he, on first glance, appeared to take a run at Sidney Crosby and fell to the ice. Looking closer at the play, something a bit more seemingly sinister went down. Puck Central shows us video of what happens when Crosby apparently delivered a slew foot to Callahan (update: Here’s a YouTube link that works.)
During the first intermission, MSG Network’s interview was with forward Brandon Dubinsky who got his feelings out about what he thought of the play. Chris Botta of NHL Fanhouse brings the details as well as what a former Rangers legend had to say about it.
“That’s a dirty play,” Rangers center Brandon Dubinsky said of Crosby in a broadcast interview during the first intermission. “He’s a guy who tries to get away with a lot of that stuff. He complains a lot.”
Crosby was not given a penalty on the play. Callahan was given a two-minute minor for interference.
“It’s a play that the NHL has tried to get rid of,” said Rangers Hall of Fame defenseman Brian Leetch, who now serves as a studio analyst on the team’s broadcasts on MSG Network. “It’s a dirty play.”
Well then. For what it’s worth, the Rangers didn’t try to get any redemption on Crosby for the hit until late in the third period, Rangers agitator Sean Avery made a run at Crosby and was dropped to the ice by the Penguins captain away from the play. Crosby was given an tripping minor on the play, much to the joy of the New York crowd. Pittsburgh got the final say winning the game 3-1.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)