Nov 28, 2010, 9:25 AM EDT
All right so the Flames had a pretty rough road trip and their 4-1 loss to the Penguins yesterday seemed to pile on about how rough things are for them now. Things don’t always seem so bleak though when Miikka Kiprusoff is able to make a flashy save though. Kipper had to come up big early on in the game in the first period when Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was tripped up on a breakaway and awarded a penalty shot.
You’d have to think that having Sidney Crosby getting an unabated opportunity to score a goal would really stack the odds against any goaltender. Sure, Sid isn’t always so successful on such opportunities (his numbers in the shootout aren’t as good as you’d think they would be) but still, he’s one of the best players in the league and giving him that opportunity is like begging for him to score a ton of goals against you for no good reason. Sid got his yesterday earning a hat trick, but Kiprusoff wasn’t letting him get things started by scoring on the penalty shot, stopping Crosby with a gorgeous spread eagle glove save to his left after Sid made a nifty deke to get Kiprusoff out of position.
Seeing is worth believing so check out the video of the save of the day here.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 23
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (109)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)