Nov 28, 2010, 8:08 PM EST
Going into this weekend, it seemed like the Detroit Red Wings were in for a serious fight to hold off the latest upstart threats to their Central Division throne, the Columbus Blue Jackets. While it’s far too early to say that the battle is over, sweeping the two teams’ home-and-home series clearly makes Detroit the cream of the crop. (As usual.)
The Red Wings showered shot after shot on Steve Mason in today’s game and while the young goalie was pretty strong (he stopped 38 out of 41 shots), he couldn’t shut down the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena.
After Derick Brassard gave the Blue Jackets a 1-0 lead, Detroit scored three unanswered goals (Niklas Kronwall, Darren Helm and Valtteri Filppula). Kronwall and Helm actually scored their goals just 14 seconds apart. Antonie Vermette brought Columbus within one by scoring on the power play with about 1:30 left in the third, but Danny Cleary scored an empty-netter to clinch it.
Jimmy Howard made 27 saves to earn the team’s second straight win and improve their home record to an astounding 10-1-2.
The Red Wings now have a four point lead over the Blue Jackets, with one more win and a game in hand. The only thing that’s really going against Detroit right now is that they’ve played 13 out of 21 games at home, so they’re going to have to hold their lead on the road. (This is more of a big picture problem, though, as Columbus played 12 games at home to 10 on the road.)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)