Nov 28, 2010, 10:15 PM EST
Last season, the Philadelphia Flyers lost a goal when a Fox Sports producer didn’t provide camera angles during a goal replay that would have made the evidence indisputable. (That producer ended up getting suspended for the rest of the season but reportedly returned for the 2010-11 season.)
Ultimately, that ended up being a quickly forgotten, quirky little story. The Flyers barely made the playoffs that season, but they dominated that game so it was easy to forgive that odd discretion.
The Flyers found themselves in another controversial situation this weekend as referees called off a would-be overtime game winning goal against the Calgary Flames. Officials ruled that Chris Pronger violated what is often called “The Avery Rule,” a variation on the league’s unsportsmanlike conduct penalty enacted to ensure that players won’t impede a goalie’s vision in the way Sean Avery did to Martin Brodeur.
Now, there are two things that cannot be questioned: Pronger did wave his hand in front of Miikka Kiprusoff’s face and the action was nowhere near as egregious as Avery’s.
Although it won’t change anything in the standings (the Flames ended up winning in a shootout), we thought it would be wise to ask PHT readers if referees made the right choice.
So two-thirds of our readers think that the referees were wrong for disallowing the Flyers goal while the other third thought they made the right call. If you’d like one last look at it, here is the video one more time.
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 4
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 4
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)