Nov 28, 2010, 11:54 PM EST
For casual hockey fans, it was easy to forget that there is another sharpshooting Russian left wing named Alex in Washington (Alexander Semin), but he’s making it pretty hard to overlook him this season.
Then again, Alex Ovechkin seems like he might be casting himself in a “new role” this season: elite passer. It’s not as if he couldn’t earn assists before (he hit the 50 assist mark three times and never dipped under 46 in his previous five seasons), but things have been different in 2010-11. The turnaround reminds me a bit of Wilt Chamberlain leading the NBA in assists; perhaps Ovechkin grew tired of hearing talk of selfishness because this season 22 of his 32 points came on helpers.
Maybe it’s just part of the maturation process and Ovechkin simply realizes how much attention his dynamic skills attracts. Either way, he certainly did it on Sunday when he made a gorgeous curl and drag move before setting up Semin for the goal of the night.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (47)