Nov 27, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Much like Jamie Benn’s Goal of the Night, it wasn’t easy to choose Marc-Andre Fleury’s brilliant save over the other choices from Friday.
The closest competitor was Miikka Kiprusoff. The Calgary Flames goalie stared down defeat during two different occasions last night: one on a disallowed goal because of a Chris Pronger penalty and the other time by somehow making a ludicrous stick save on talented Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen. The fact that it was at such a crucial time added to its brilliance.
Fleury’s counterpart for the night – embattled yet improving Ottawa Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire – also made a genius stop too. He flashed the glove to keep Sidney Crosby behind Steve Stamkos in the goal scoring race.
Ultimately, though, it came down to the combination of Fleury’s fluorescent flashiness, the fact that his opponent got plenty of air under the puck and the fact that the Penguins goalie put together such a great performance overall.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 10
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 23
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 12
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 55
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39