Nov 27, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Much like Jamie Benn’s Goal of the Night, it wasn’t easy to choose Marc-Andre Fleury’s brilliant save over the other choices from Friday.
The closest competitor was Miikka Kiprusoff. The Calgary Flames goalie stared down defeat during two different occasions last night: one on a disallowed goal because of a Chris Pronger penalty and the other time by somehow making a ludicrous stick save on talented Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen. The fact that it was at such a crucial time added to its brilliance.
Fleury’s counterpart for the night – embattled yet improving Ottawa Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire – also made a genius stop too. He flashed the glove to keep Sidney Crosby behind Steve Stamkos in the goal scoring race.
Ultimately, though, it came down to the combination of Fleury’s fluorescent flashiness, the fact that his opponent got plenty of air under the puck and the fact that the Penguins goalie put together such a great performance overall.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 7
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9