Nov 27, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Much like Jamie Benn’s Goal of the Night, it wasn’t easy to choose Marc-Andre Fleury’s brilliant save over the other choices from Friday.
The closest competitor was Miikka Kiprusoff. The Calgary Flames goalie stared down defeat during two different occasions last night: one on a disallowed goal because of a Chris Pronger penalty and the other time by somehow making a ludicrous stick save on talented Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen. The fact that it was at such a crucial time added to its brilliance.
Fleury’s counterpart for the night – embattled yet improving Ottawa Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire – also made a genius stop too. He flashed the glove to keep Sidney Crosby behind Steve Stamkos in the goal scoring race.
Ultimately, though, it came down to the combination of Fleury’s fluorescent flashiness, the fact that his opponent got plenty of air under the puck and the fact that the Penguins goalie put together such a great performance overall.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 13
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 2
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 77
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2