Nov 27, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Much like Jamie Benn’s Goal of the Night, it wasn’t easy to choose Marc-Andre Fleury’s brilliant save over the other choices from Friday.
The closest competitor was Miikka Kiprusoff. The Calgary Flames goalie stared down defeat during two different occasions last night: one on a disallowed goal because of a Chris Pronger penalty and the other time by somehow making a ludicrous stick save on talented Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen. The fact that it was at such a crucial time added to its brilliance.
Fleury’s counterpart for the night – embattled yet improving Ottawa Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire – also made a genius stop too. He flashed the glove to keep Sidney Crosby behind Steve Stamkos in the goal scoring race.
Ultimately, though, it came down to the combination of Fleury’s fluorescent flashiness, the fact that his opponent got plenty of air under the puck and the fact that the Penguins goalie put together such a great performance overall.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 4
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50