Nov 27, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
Sometimes, life has a way of throwing you a cruel break at a curious time. It’s hard to wonder if this might be the final blow to a great veteran’s career, too.
Take, for instance, Mike Modano’s night. On the same day that reports circulated that the former face of the Dallas Stars franchise admitted that he “kind of gave up” for a few seasons with his former team, Modano apparently lacerated a tendon in his right wrist during Friday’s game against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
At some point in the contest, someone’s skate must have cut his wrist. Anyone who remembers seeing Alexei Yashin’s grisly arm injury (among other unfortunate skate-related cuts, such as the far more serious moment for Richard Zednik) will attest to how scary a moment that can be.
I cannot help but wonder if last night’s game might be Modano’s last, as the 40-year-old cannot have many more seasons left (unless he wants to pull a Chris Chelios, of course). TSN reports that he will be out indefinitely after undergoing surgery on that wrist.
Detroit Red Wings forward Mike Modano has undergone surgery after suffering a laceration from a skate blade on his right wrist during a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday night. The veteran will be out of the lineup indefinitely depending on the progress of his recovery.
Modano left the game against Columbus with about six minutes left in the second period. He returned to Detroit following the game. The surgery was performed this morning at the Detroit Medical Center.
Modano’s injury included one severed tendon and slight damage to a nerve.
Who knows if this will really be that bad, as “out indefinitely” is one of the most nebulous terms in sports. The bottom line is that this doesn’t sound very good, though.
Hopefully this won’t be the last we see of the all-time American great, but if it is so, he certainly had a fantastic NHL career. Good luck to Modano.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)