Nov 27, 2010, 12:25 PM EST
Sometimes, life has a way of throwing you a cruel break at a curious time. It’s hard to wonder if this might be the final blow to a great veteran’s career, too.
Take, for instance, Mike Modano’s night. On the same day that reports circulated that the former face of the Dallas Stars franchise admitted that he “kind of gave up” for a few seasons with his former team, Modano apparently lacerated a tendon in his right wrist during Friday’s game against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
At some point in the contest, someone’s skate must have cut his wrist. Anyone who remembers seeing Alexei Yashin’s grisly arm injury (among other unfortunate skate-related cuts, such as the far more serious moment for Richard Zednik) will attest to how scary a moment that can be.
I cannot help but wonder if last night’s game might be Modano’s last, as the 40-year-old cannot have many more seasons left (unless he wants to pull a Chris Chelios, of course). TSN reports that he will be out indefinitely after undergoing surgery on that wrist.
Detroit Red Wings forward Mike Modano has undergone surgery after suffering a laceration from a skate blade on his right wrist during a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday night. The veteran will be out of the lineup indefinitely depending on the progress of his recovery.
Modano left the game against Columbus with about six minutes left in the second period. He returned to Detroit following the game. The surgery was performed this morning at the Detroit Medical Center.
Modano’s injury included one severed tendon and slight damage to a nerve.
Who knows if this will really be that bad, as “out indefinitely” is one of the most nebulous terms in sports. The bottom line is that this doesn’t sound very good, though.
Hopefully this won’t be the last we see of the all-time American great, but if it is so, he certainly had a fantastic NHL career. Good luck to Modano.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 0
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 10
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56