Nov 27, 2010, 12:25 PM EST
Sometimes, life has a way of throwing you a cruel break at a curious time. It’s hard to wonder if this might be the final blow to a great veteran’s career, too.
Take, for instance, Mike Modano’s night. On the same day that reports circulated that the former face of the Dallas Stars franchise admitted that he “kind of gave up” for a few seasons with his former team, Modano apparently lacerated a tendon in his right wrist during Friday’s game against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
At some point in the contest, someone’s skate must have cut his wrist. Anyone who remembers seeing Alexei Yashin’s grisly arm injury (among other unfortunate skate-related cuts, such as the far more serious moment for Richard Zednik) will attest to how scary a moment that can be.
I cannot help but wonder if last night’s game might be Modano’s last, as the 40-year-old cannot have many more seasons left (unless he wants to pull a Chris Chelios, of course). TSN reports that he will be out indefinitely after undergoing surgery on that wrist.
Detroit Red Wings forward Mike Modano has undergone surgery after suffering a laceration from a skate blade on his right wrist during a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday night. The veteran will be out of the lineup indefinitely depending on the progress of his recovery.
Modano left the game against Columbus with about six minutes left in the second period. He returned to Detroit following the game. The surgery was performed this morning at the Detroit Medical Center.
Modano’s injury included one severed tendon and slight damage to a nerve.
Who knows if this will really be that bad, as “out indefinitely” is one of the most nebulous terms in sports. The bottom line is that this doesn’t sound very good, though.
Hopefully this won’t be the last we see of the all-time American great, but if it is so, he certainly had a fantastic NHL career. Good luck to Modano.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)