Nov 26, 2010, 4:23 PM EST
It’s over. It’s mercifully over. The Islanders 14-game losing streak has come to an end and, incredibly enough, it was embattled franchise goalie Rick DiPietro who led the way. DiPietro’s 29 save shutout and calm, cool demeanor late while the Islanders killed a 5-on-3 power play earned the 2-0 victory for the team. The Islanders avoid tying the franchise record for consecutive losses and stay out of the running for all-time longest losing streak of 17 games.
Jesse Joensuu and Rob Schremp had the goals for New York while Devils starter Johan Hedberg made 18 saves in the loss. Amazingly enough, the win puts the Islanders just one point behind the Devils for 14th in the Eastern Conference and the Atlantic Division. Think about that for a second, the Islanders snap a 14-game losing streak, a streak in which they earned just three points from games reaching overtime or the shootout, and now find themselves one point behind New Jersey.
Now with the Islanders incredible futility streak over and done with, the attention will be turned once again to the moribund Devils. After all, you’d think that in an NHL that awards points wantonly throughout the season the Devils, despite their issues, could’ve gotten a bit more cushion from the absolute basement in the Eastern Conference. Instead, they’re now just one point ahead of the Islanders and dead last in the league. Head coach John MacLean was feeling the heat already in Newark, he’s going to be getting the fire turned up on him even more now after losing to the league’s worst team.
As for the Islanders, they’ve played tough of late and now they’re going to have to get tougher as the Isles announced after the game that Trent Hunter will be out indefinitely with a grade three MCL tear. Hunter’s replacement Joensuu did all right today in getting his first goal of the season.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)