Nov 26, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
It’s over. It’s mercifully over. The Islanders 14-game losing streak has come to an end and, incredibly enough, it was embattled franchise goalie Rick DiPietro who led the way. DiPietro’s 29 save shutout and calm, cool demeanor late while the Islanders killed a 5-on-3 power play earned the 2-0 victory for the team. The Islanders avoid tying the franchise record for consecutive losses and stay out of the running for all-time longest losing streak of 17 games.
Jesse Joensuu and Rob Schremp had the goals for New York while Devils starter Johan Hedberg made 18 saves in the loss. Amazingly enough, the win puts the Islanders just one point behind the Devils for 14th in the Eastern Conference and the Atlantic Division. Think about that for a second, the Islanders snap a 14-game losing streak, a streak in which they earned just three points from games reaching overtime or the shootout, and now find themselves one point behind New Jersey.
Now with the Islanders incredible futility streak over and done with, the attention will be turned once again to the moribund Devils. After all, you’d think that in an NHL that awards points wantonly throughout the season the Devils, despite their issues, could’ve gotten a bit more cushion from the absolute basement in the Eastern Conference. Instead, they’re now just one point ahead of the Islanders and dead last in the league. Head coach John MacLean was feeling the heat already in Newark, he’s going to be getting the fire turned up on him even more now after losing to the league’s worst team.
As for the Islanders, they’ve played tough of late and now they’re going to have to get tougher as the Isles announced after the game that Trent Hunter will be out indefinitely with a grade three MCL tear. Hunter’s replacement Joensuu did all right today in getting his first goal of the season.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 4
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 53
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)