Nov 26, 2010, 8:22 PM EDT
Considering the fact that seven of today’s 13 games began before the typical start time of 7:00 pm Eastern, it seems appropriate to recap the early games. We’ll take a look at the later games tonight/tomorrow.
In a rare change of pace, Tim Thomas was on the wrong end of a shutout this season. Cam Ward earned that 37-save shutout this afternoon, as the Hurricanes continued their weird hot-and-cold streak with a nice win over the Bruins. Carolina’s power play was the only other difference maker, going three for three.
The Penguins are officially hot right now and the best part for them is that Marc-Andre Fleury is a huge reason why they’ve been on such a great run. Fleury is on a five game winning streak, only allowed three goals in his last three games and is 7-0-1 in last eight games. He made 43 saves to help the red-hot Pens in this one.
As you probably know already, this game ended in controversy as a would-be overtime winner was called off because of Chris Pronger’s breaching of “The Avery Rule.” Ultimately, the Flames were able to steal this one via the shootout, but that call definitely casts a shadow over the game.
Maybe the Islanders aren’t as bad as the Devils after all? Read the recap here.
Pekka Rinne allowed three goals on only nine shots and lasted only one period in this one, as the Wild dominated the Predators. Martin Havlat is quietly having quite the season for himself, as the injury prone but talented forward scored two goals and one assist.
After tying the game up with a shorthanded goal by Duncan Keith, the Chicago Blackhawks exploded with a three goal third period to hand the Ducks their sixth consecutive loss.
The Capitals proved that they’re still clearly the Southeast Division’s best team, pummeling the upstart Lightning in convincing fashion. Alexander Semin scored a natural hat trick while Semyon Varlamov cruised to a 17 save shutout to help Washington win this one without much trouble.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)