Nov 26, 2010, 9:50 PM EDT
For years, the Anaheim Ducks were something of a punchline in their name alone, as the team was named after the Emilio Estevez-based Disney movie “The Mighty Ducks.” Who knows if it was a mandate from truculent ex-GM Brian Burke or not, but the team decided to distance itself from its Mickey Mouse related past by dropping the “Mighty” and going with a logo that seemed more like a fancy font.
On one hand, the new look made a nice debut as the Ducks won the Stanley Cup shortly after the makeover. That being said, the team lost a bit of what made it a unique entity: a club with a distinctive logo and the guts to use a far-from-imposing mascot.
Well, the Ducks are sticking with that motif, but they debuted third jerseys that show a lot more personality. While the Columbus Blue Jackets unveiled decent (if notably bland and unoriginal) third jerseys that resembled offerings by the St. Louis Blues, Pittsburgh Penguins and Florida Panthers, Anaheim went in a very different direction.
In case this post’s main image isn’t enough for you, here are some close up shots of the new, very orange third jersey design via the team. (If you’re curious, Teemu Selanne is the “model” for the new duds.)
The best part for longtime Ducks fans might be the nod to the old Disney-inspired logo, though. As you can see from this screen capture from a video that hypes up the new design, the shoulder patch features Anaheim’s original logo.
So, now that you’ve had a chance to take a look at the new third jerseys, I cannot help but ask: do you dig their new duds?
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)