Nov 26, 2010, 9:50 PM EST
For years, the Anaheim Ducks were something of a punchline in their name alone, as the team was named after the Emilio Estevez-based Disney movie “The Mighty Ducks.” Who knows if it was a mandate from truculent ex-GM Brian Burke or not, but the team decided to distance itself from its Mickey Mouse related past by dropping the “Mighty” and going with a logo that seemed more like a fancy font.
On one hand, the new look made a nice debut as the Ducks won the Stanley Cup shortly after the makeover. That being said, the team lost a bit of what made it a unique entity: a club with a distinctive logo and the guts to use a far-from-imposing mascot.
Well, the Ducks are sticking with that motif, but they debuted third jerseys that show a lot more personality. While the Columbus Blue Jackets unveiled decent (if notably bland and unoriginal) third jerseys that resembled offerings by the St. Louis Blues, Pittsburgh Penguins and Florida Panthers, Anaheim went in a very different direction.
In case this post’s main image isn’t enough for you, here are some close up shots of the new, very orange third jersey design via the team. (If you’re curious, Teemu Selanne is the “model” for the new duds.)
The best part for longtime Ducks fans might be the nod to the old Disney-inspired logo, though. As you can see from this screen capture from a video that hypes up the new design, the shoulder patch features Anaheim’s original logo.
So, now that you’ve had a chance to take a look at the new third jerseys, I cannot help but ask: do you dig their new duds?
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)