Nov 26, 2010, 9:50 PM EDT
For years, the Anaheim Ducks were something of a punchline in their name alone, as the team was named after the Emilio Estevez-based Disney movie “The Mighty Ducks.” Who knows if it was a mandate from truculent ex-GM Brian Burke or not, but the team decided to distance itself from its Mickey Mouse related past by dropping the “Mighty” and going with a logo that seemed more like a fancy font.
On one hand, the new look made a nice debut as the Ducks won the Stanley Cup shortly after the makeover. That being said, the team lost a bit of what made it a unique entity: a club with a distinctive logo and the guts to use a far-from-imposing mascot.
Well, the Ducks are sticking with that motif, but they debuted third jerseys that show a lot more personality. While the Columbus Blue Jackets unveiled decent (if notably bland and unoriginal) third jerseys that resembled offerings by the St. Louis Blues, Pittsburgh Penguins and Florida Panthers, Anaheim went in a very different direction.
In case this post’s main image isn’t enough for you, here are some close up shots of the new, very orange third jersey design via the team. (If you’re curious, Teemu Selanne is the “model” for the new duds.)
The best part for longtime Ducks fans might be the nod to the old Disney-inspired logo, though. As you can see from this screen capture from a video that hypes up the new design, the shoulder patch features Anaheim’s original logo.
So, now that you’ve had a chance to take a look at the new third jerseys, I cannot help but ask: do you dig their new duds?
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 11
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 6
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29