Nov 25, 2010, 11:36 PM EDT
Woe be the New York Islanders. The once proud franchise is mired in an incredible 14-game losing streak and things are looking bleak for the team. They’ve fired their former head coach Scott Gordon and his replacement Jack Capuano is 0-2-2 so far at the helm. They’ve sent former first round pick Josh Bailey down to the AHL to try and get him back on track and Garth Snow is trying to do damage control by silencing those in the media who dare to question the team’s decisions. Yeah, it’s all-around ugly on Long Island and the future doesn’t seem to look good for success.
With things looking as bad as they are, things have to turn around at some point and if it’s going to happen, is it possible that it could happen in the next couple of weeks? If the Islanders are hoping to avoid a dubious record, one held by the 1974-1975 Washington Capitals and the 1992-1993 San Jose Sharks in losing 17 games in a row, they’ll need to win one of their next two games. Having to deal with the perhaps rebounding New Jersey Devils and the New York Rangers, that could be a tall order to fill.
If the Islanders want to avoid sailing into the record books, they’ll have to snap out of this funk and do it soon. If they are going to do it, when do you think they’ll break out of it? Vote in our poll to let us know which of the next five games you think the Islanders stand the best chance of snapping out of their funk in.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 5
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 6
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 15
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)