Nov 25, 2010, 11:36 PM EDT
Woe be the New York Islanders. The once proud franchise is mired in an incredible 14-game losing streak and things are looking bleak for the team. They’ve fired their former head coach Scott Gordon and his replacement Jack Capuano is 0-2-2 so far at the helm. They’ve sent former first round pick Josh Bailey down to the AHL to try and get him back on track and Garth Snow is trying to do damage control by silencing those in the media who dare to question the team’s decisions. Yeah, it’s all-around ugly on Long Island and the future doesn’t seem to look good for success.
With things looking as bad as they are, things have to turn around at some point and if it’s going to happen, is it possible that it could happen in the next couple of weeks? If the Islanders are hoping to avoid a dubious record, one held by the 1974-1975 Washington Capitals and the 1992-1993 San Jose Sharks in losing 17 games in a row, they’ll need to win one of their next two games. Having to deal with the perhaps rebounding New Jersey Devils and the New York Rangers, that could be a tall order to fill.
If the Islanders want to avoid sailing into the record books, they’ll have to snap out of this funk and do it soon. If they are going to do it, when do you think they’ll break out of it? Vote in our poll to let us know which of the next five games you think the Islanders stand the best chance of snapping out of their funk in.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)