Nov 25, 2010, 11:36 PM EDT
Woe be the New York Islanders. The once proud franchise is mired in an incredible 14-game losing streak and things are looking bleak for the team. They’ve fired their former head coach Scott Gordon and his replacement Jack Capuano is 0-2-2 so far at the helm. They’ve sent former first round pick Josh Bailey down to the AHL to try and get him back on track and Garth Snow is trying to do damage control by silencing those in the media who dare to question the team’s decisions. Yeah, it’s all-around ugly on Long Island and the future doesn’t seem to look good for success.
With things looking as bad as they are, things have to turn around at some point and if it’s going to happen, is it possible that it could happen in the next couple of weeks? If the Islanders are hoping to avoid a dubious record, one held by the 1974-1975 Washington Capitals and the 1992-1993 San Jose Sharks in losing 17 games in a row, they’ll need to win one of their next two games. Having to deal with the perhaps rebounding New Jersey Devils and the New York Rangers, that could be a tall order to fill.
If the Islanders want to avoid sailing into the record books, they’ll have to snap out of this funk and do it soon. If they are going to do it, when do you think they’ll break out of it? Vote in our poll to let us know which of the next five games you think the Islanders stand the best chance of snapping out of their funk in.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 14
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 29
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)