Nov 25, 2010, 11:36 PM EDT
Woe be the New York Islanders. The once proud franchise is mired in an incredible 14-game losing streak and things are looking bleak for the team. They’ve fired their former head coach Scott Gordon and his replacement Jack Capuano is 0-2-2 so far at the helm. They’ve sent former first round pick Josh Bailey down to the AHL to try and get him back on track and Garth Snow is trying to do damage control by silencing those in the media who dare to question the team’s decisions. Yeah, it’s all-around ugly on Long Island and the future doesn’t seem to look good for success.
With things looking as bad as they are, things have to turn around at some point and if it’s going to happen, is it possible that it could happen in the next couple of weeks? If the Islanders are hoping to avoid a dubious record, one held by the 1974-1975 Washington Capitals and the 1992-1993 San Jose Sharks in losing 17 games in a row, they’ll need to win one of their next two games. Having to deal with the perhaps rebounding New Jersey Devils and the New York Rangers, that could be a tall order to fill.
If the Islanders want to avoid sailing into the record books, they’ll have to snap out of this funk and do it soon. If they are going to do it, when do you think they’ll break out of it? Vote in our poll to let us know which of the next five games you think the Islanders stand the best chance of snapping out of their funk in.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)