Nov 25, 2010, 1:34 PM EST
The Blue Jackets unleashed their new third jerseys on the hockey world last night in a ceremony in Columbus. Of course this gives us the opportunity to put on our fancy pants and play the role of amateur fashion mogul in analyzing the new duds. This is the second time in the team’s ten years in the NHL that they’ve come up with a third jersey. Their previous ones were such a big hit they became the template for what their current home jerseys look like now. To help celebrate the franchise’s ten year anniversary, they came up with this old time look to help celebrate the team and generate a few more dollars in sales.
The Blue Jackets are really playing up their connection to the Union army in the Civil War and the crest on the third jersey really gives you the feel of something from out of the 1850′s. That’s not a critical point, the crest has a certain charm to it and offers its own quirky spin on the latest craze of having a circular logo. The circular logo style is something that was broken out to give any logo an old time style. The Blue Jackets have taken it to another level by dialing things back to the 19th century with their look.
Where we get a bit critical of things is how similar the jersey looks to a couple other teams third jerseys and for us, that’s a big problem. Third jerseys give teams the opportunity to do something a bit different and unique for themselves. Unfortunately, teams seem to be hung up on light blue as a means to do things differently. Obviously the Blue Jackets weren’t going to go with a red look or even a black look, that’s stupid for a team named the Blue Jackets to do.
The additions of silver and light blue, however, make us immediately think of the Pittsburgh Penguins third jersey (which is just a throwback to their jerseys from the 1960s and 1970s) as well as the Florida Panthers thirds. Honestly, look at these side by side.
It didn’t make a lot of sense for the Panthers to go this way with their look, especially since red is one of their primary colors, but seeing the Jackets do an eerily similar style makes us think that originality has disappeared completely from designing a third jersey. Granted, we understand that there have been so many disastrous thirds in the past and teams don’t want to be the focus of ridicule, but these are just boring.
With all that said, we’re curious what you think. Do you dig the Jackets new duds or not? Let your voice be heard in our poll.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)