Nov 25, 2010, 1:34 PM EST
The Blue Jackets unleashed their new third jerseys on the hockey world last night in a ceremony in Columbus. Of course this gives us the opportunity to put on our fancy pants and play the role of amateur fashion mogul in analyzing the new duds. This is the second time in the team’s ten years in the NHL that they’ve come up with a third jersey. Their previous ones were such a big hit they became the template for what their current home jerseys look like now. To help celebrate the franchise’s ten year anniversary, they came up with this old time look to help celebrate the team and generate a few more dollars in sales.
The Blue Jackets are really playing up their connection to the Union army in the Civil War and the crest on the third jersey really gives you the feel of something from out of the 1850’s. That’s not a critical point, the crest has a certain charm to it and offers its own quirky spin on the latest craze of having a circular logo. The circular logo style is something that was broken out to give any logo an old time style. The Blue Jackets have taken it to another level by dialing things back to the 19th century with their look.
Where we get a bit critical of things is how similar the jersey looks to a couple other teams third jerseys and for us, that’s a big problem. Third jerseys give teams the opportunity to do something a bit different and unique for themselves. Unfortunately, teams seem to be hung up on light blue as a means to do things differently. Obviously the Blue Jackets weren’t going to go with a red look or even a black look, that’s stupid for a team named the Blue Jackets to do.
The additions of silver and light blue, however, make us immediately think of the Pittsburgh Penguins third jersey (which is just a throwback to their jerseys from the 1960s and 1970s) as well as the Florida Panthers thirds. Honestly, look at these side by side.
It didn’t make a lot of sense for the Panthers to go this way with their look, especially since red is one of their primary colors, but seeing the Jackets do an eerily similar style makes us think that originality has disappeared completely from designing a third jersey. Granted, we understand that there have been so many disastrous thirds in the past and teams don’t want to be the focus of ridicule, but these are just boring.
With all that said, we’re curious what you think. Do you dig the Jackets new duds or not? Let your voice be heard in our poll.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2