Nov 24, 2010, 9:56 PM EDT
Sometimes, a broken pane of glass can be a blessing for hockey fans: it acts as an unofficial timeout for both teams and (perhaps most importantly) an extra opportunity for a bathroom break for those with compromised bladders. Then again, it’s also a break from the action that often means that a typically efficient hockey game will go on quite a bit longer.
But tonight’s Philadelphia Flyers-Minnesota Wild game was an odd one, as a broken pane of glass caused such a slowdown that officials actually decided to send both teams to their locker rooms.
So instead of playing the second period right after the Zamboni resurfacing, the two teams played the near-two minute excess of the first before the second could begin. Here is a little more background on the situation, via the Associated Press.
The remaining 1:57 of the first period will be played right before the second period begins.
With the Flyers leading 2-0, Philadelphia forward Claude Giroux came out of his end and fired a shot from near center ice that shattered the glass along the side boards by the right circle.
As the shards of glass were shoveled by the arena crew, officials sent the teams to their dressing rooms.
It doesn’t appear that the break really made a difference. No goals were scored during that extra time period and the Flyers hold a 3-1 lead going into the third period.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)