Nov 23, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Last night’s Rangers-Flames game in New York is going to be talked about a lot today because of a monstrous hit laid by Marc Staal to Matthew Stajan, but the stellar work by goaltenders Miikka Kiprusoff of Calgary and Martin Biron could’ve easily made the topic of discussion. Biron was brilliant yet again for the Rangers and Kiprusoff again showed reasons why he’s still one of the best goalies in the NHL.
Late in the third period with the Rangers clinging to a 2-1 lead, Ryan Callahan gathered the puck near the side of the net and gave Kiprusoff a shoulder shrug deke and swooped around the net to try and wrap the puck around and into the net for a goal. Kiprusoff dove back across his crease to stop Callahan back along the far post and looked positively Dominik Hasek-esque in making the save with glove hand while laying on his back. Seeing is worth believing and it’s why Kipper gets our call for save of the night.
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 7
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 59
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 4
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 8
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 62
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36