Nov 23, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Last night’s Rangers-Flames game in New York is going to be talked about a lot today because of a monstrous hit laid by Marc Staal to Matthew Stajan, but the stellar work by goaltenders Miikka Kiprusoff of Calgary and Martin Biron could’ve easily made the topic of discussion. Biron was brilliant yet again for the Rangers and Kiprusoff again showed reasons why he’s still one of the best goalies in the NHL.
Late in the third period with the Rangers clinging to a 2-1 lead, Ryan Callahan gathered the puck near the side of the net and gave Kiprusoff a shoulder shrug deke and swooped around the net to try and wrap the puck around and into the net for a goal. Kiprusoff dove back across his crease to stop Callahan back along the far post and looked positively Dominik Hasek-esque in making the save with glove hand while laying on his back. Seeing is worth believing and it’s why Kipper gets our call for save of the night.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30