Nov 23, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Last night’s Rangers-Flames game in New York is going to be talked about a lot today because of a monstrous hit laid by Marc Staal to Matthew Stajan, but the stellar work by goaltenders Miikka Kiprusoff of Calgary and Martin Biron could’ve easily made the topic of discussion. Biron was brilliant yet again for the Rangers and Kiprusoff again showed reasons why he’s still one of the best goalies in the NHL.
Late in the third period with the Rangers clinging to a 2-1 lead, Ryan Callahan gathered the puck near the side of the net and gave Kiprusoff a shoulder shrug deke and swooped around the net to try and wrap the puck around and into the net for a goal. Kiprusoff dove back across his crease to stop Callahan back along the far post and looked positively Dominik Hasek-esque in making the save with glove hand while laying on his back. Seeing is worth believing and it’s why Kipper gets our call for save of the night.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39