Nov 23, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
It’s a sad day in Philadelphia as the city says goodbye to a landmark of sorts. Today, demolition of The Spectrum began and while some tears are shed for the loss of an iconic building that saw championships won by both the Flyers and 76ers, the Philadelphia landmark has seen its last days.
Today, Philadelphia and Pennsylvania dignitaries gathered outside The Spectrum to pay their final respects to the venerable old place and amongst the attendees were Broad Street Bullies Bobby Clarke and Bernie Parent as well as Flyers executives Peter Lukko and Ed Snider.
As you might expect, the tone of the day was bittersweet for those in attendance and for Clarke and Parent alike it meant saying farewell to a very friendly home. Adam Kimelman of NHL.com was on the scene and got word from those sad to see The Spectrum go.
“I understand the building has gotten old and has to be replaced,” said Clarke. “We’re all old enough to understand that buildings get old and have to be replaced. We love that building. But you move houses sometimes; it’s time to move buildings.”
While the Spectrum may be gone, the memories made in the building one Philadelphia-area columnist once derisively called “The Fish Can on the Delaware Flats,” will live on.
Who knew that Bobby Clarke could be poignant? Here’s some video from the demolition today thanks to NBC Philadelphia. Flyers fans might want to think twice before checking it out.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)