Nov 23, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT
It’s funny how life can work out sometimes for an NHL player. Patrick O’Sullivan was drafted in 2003 by the Minnesota Wild but never played a game for the team after being part of the package that went to the Los Angeles Kings for Pavol Demitra. Now, he’s back with the Wild after Minnesota claimed the talented yet enigmatic playmaker off of waivers from the Carolina Hurricanes.
O’Sullivan will get the chance to jump right into the lineup thanks to the absence of Guillaume Latendresse who will miss quite a bit of time now thanks to going in for surgery to repair the labrum in his left hip and a sports hernia. I winced just writing that.
For O’Sullivan, this might be the last chance he gets to prove himself in the NHL. He’s gone from L.A., to Carolina, to Edmonton and has shown flashes of brilliance followed by a stunning inability to stick in a lineup. He’s seen the peak of his career come in Los Angeles in 2007-2008 where he looked like the kind of player Minnesota saw when they drafted him in the second round in 2003 scoring 22 goals and 31 assists. Since then, he’s gone to Edmonton where he saw his play bottom out last season finishing with 34 points and plus/minus rating of -35, a horrific number for anyone to have, even on a bad team.
For Minnesota, he’s not going to be able to do the kinds of things that Latendresse does on the ice, but he provides a setup man in the mold of Pierre-Marc Bouchard. A quick skating, slick passing center with the ability to help his wingers pick up points. With Bouchard continuing to struggle coming back from a concussion suffered last season, O’Sullivan at least helps fill that hole in the lineup at a cheap cost. If O’Sullivan doesn’t pan out, he can be sent down/waived easily at little cost to the Wild.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)