Nov 23, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
For the previous three seasons, Vancouver Canucks power forward/pest Alex Burrows kept getting better and better, especially from a stats perspective. He went from 12 goals and 31 points in 2007-08 to 28 goals and 51 points in 08-09 to 35 goals and 67 points last season.
Burrows had one thing going his way in those seasons that he lacks right now: remarkable health. In fact, before this season, he missed only one regular game in the last four seasons.
The talented forward missed the first 10 games of this season after recovering from shoulder surgery, but it seems like it’s taking longer than that for him to rebound to full form.
You can read about his troubles here, which includes a first paragraph that features Gordon McIntyre’s bizarre choices explaining how Burrows is struggling with the mental side of his comeback.
Like Seinfeld’s, um, libido playing chess with his brain, or that Pizza Pop commercial where the stomach chases the girls out of the thinking organ, Alex Burrows is having a to-and-fro with his grey matter.
Stomachs chasing girls? What? Moving on …
“I’m getting closer,” he said after skating on a line with the Sedins again at Tuesday’s practice. “Obviously it’s going to be a process. As long as I keep working hard, things are going to happen.
“I feel my legs are getting better every game.”
In 10 games, Burrows only has one goal and two assists for three points. He went through eight of those contests without a single point. The Canucks are currently on a four game losing streak and ceded their Northwest Division lead to the Colorado Avalanche this week. Chances are, if Burrows gets his game together, he might just lift his team along with him.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)