Nov 22, 2010, 2:44 AM EDT
Every once in a while, karma makes its presence felt in a way that’s funny to just about anyone other than the victim. Luckily, in this case, it didn’t involve much beyond embarrassment for the party in question.
My guess is that even Corey Perry’s teammates in Anaheim occasionally question the methods behind his madness. No one should doubt the power forward’s skill, but it’s his pest-like tendencies that rub people the wrong way. As you may know, he’s notorious for “running” goalies (aka making intentional contact to irritate or maybe even injure a netminder while attempting to make it seem accidental).
In other words, he’s not a very popular guy outside of his locker room. (He also looks like he would be the right hand man of an 80’s movie villain, so that doesn’t help.)
So when a widely reviled player makes a mistake without hurting himself or someone else, it’s pretty funny. When that moment is a random bit of bad luck in the form of an own goal, it’s even better.
Bask in the glory of a centering pass gone wrong and laugh with the elated Edmonton Oilers bench in the process. I hate to say it, but Perry kind of deserves it.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)