Nov 22, 2010, 2:44 AM EST
Every once in a while, karma makes its presence felt in a way that’s funny to just about anyone other than the victim. Luckily, in this case, it didn’t involve much beyond embarrassment for the party in question.
My guess is that even Corey Perry’s teammates in Anaheim occasionally question the methods behind his madness. No one should doubt the power forward’s skill, but it’s his pest-like tendencies that rub people the wrong way. As you may know, he’s notorious for “running” goalies (aka making intentional contact to irritate or maybe even injure a netminder while attempting to make it seem accidental).
In other words, he’s not a very popular guy outside of his locker room. (He also looks like he would be the right hand man of an 80′s movie villain, so that doesn’t help.)
So when a widely reviled player makes a mistake without hurting himself or someone else, it’s pretty funny. When that moment is a random bit of bad luck in the form of an own goal, it’s even better.
Bask in the glory of a centering pass gone wrong and laugh with the elated Edmonton Oilers bench in the process. I hate to say it, but Perry kind of deserves it.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 3
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 16
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)