Nov 22, 2010, 2:44 AM EST
Every once in a while, karma makes its presence felt in a way that’s funny to just about anyone other than the victim. Luckily, in this case, it didn’t involve much beyond embarrassment for the party in question.
My guess is that even Corey Perry’s teammates in Anaheim occasionally question the methods behind his madness. No one should doubt the power forward’s skill, but it’s his pest-like tendencies that rub people the wrong way. As you may know, he’s notorious for “running” goalies (aka making intentional contact to irritate or maybe even injure a netminder while attempting to make it seem accidental).
In other words, he’s not a very popular guy outside of his locker room. (He also looks like he would be the right hand man of an 80’s movie villain, so that doesn’t help.)
So when a widely reviled player makes a mistake without hurting himself or someone else, it’s pretty funny. When that moment is a random bit of bad luck in the form of an own goal, it’s even better.
Bask in the glory of a centering pass gone wrong and laugh with the elated Edmonton Oilers bench in the process. I hate to say it, but Perry kind of deserves it.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)