Nov 22, 2010, 2:44 AM EDT
Every once in a while, karma makes its presence felt in a way that’s funny to just about anyone other than the victim. Luckily, in this case, it didn’t involve much beyond embarrassment for the party in question.
My guess is that even Corey Perry’s teammates in Anaheim occasionally question the methods behind his madness. No one should doubt the power forward’s skill, but it’s his pest-like tendencies that rub people the wrong way. As you may know, he’s notorious for “running” goalies (aka making intentional contact to irritate or maybe even injure a netminder while attempting to make it seem accidental).
In other words, he’s not a very popular guy outside of his locker room. (He also looks like he would be the right hand man of an 80′s movie villain, so that doesn’t help.)
So when a widely reviled player makes a mistake without hurting himself or someone else, it’s pretty funny. When that moment is a random bit of bad luck in the form of an own goal, it’s even better.
Bask in the glory of a centering pass gone wrong and laugh with the elated Edmonton Oilers bench in the process. I hate to say it, but Perry kind of deserves it.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3