Nov 22, 2010, 2:44 AM EST
Every once in a while, karma makes its presence felt in a way that’s funny to just about anyone other than the victim. Luckily, in this case, it didn’t involve much beyond embarrassment for the party in question.
My guess is that even Corey Perry’s teammates in Anaheim occasionally question the methods behind his madness. No one should doubt the power forward’s skill, but it’s his pest-like tendencies that rub people the wrong way. As you may know, he’s notorious for “running” goalies (aka making intentional contact to irritate or maybe even injure a netminder while attempting to make it seem accidental).
In other words, he’s not a very popular guy outside of his locker room. (He also looks like he would be the right hand man of an 80’s movie villain, so that doesn’t help.)
So when a widely reviled player makes a mistake without hurting himself or someone else, it’s pretty funny. When that moment is a random bit of bad luck in the form of an own goal, it’s even better.
Bask in the glory of a centering pass gone wrong and laugh with the elated Edmonton Oilers bench in the process. I hate to say it, but Perry kind of deserves it.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 5
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 19
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46